1. Provide a Hand-cleaning Station for use prior to and after contact with animals.
a. Provide running water or antibacterial hand wipes to clean dirt off hands
b. Provide alcohol-based hand rubs for use on clean hands
2. Provide cleaning supplies in a safe manner to protect visitors and animals
a. Trash cans should be available to prevent animals from eating the wipes
3. Post signs indicating:
a. The location of the Hand-cleaning Station or facilities when they are some distance from the exhibit
b. The procedure to be followed
c. The importance of the procedure
d. Post the “Lose the Germs” poster series, or similar signs
4. Do not allow human food or drink in animal contact areas.
5. Forbid smoking in animal contact areas, and at Hand-cleaning Stations.
6. Ensure that no feed is fed to the animals unless specifically provided by the fair.
Further information on ways to minimize the spread of disease from animals to visitors is available from the Centers for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov/healthypets/animals/farm_animals.htm.
Compendium of Measures to Prevent Disease Associated with Animals in Public Settings, 2009