MEDIA CONTACT: Julie Willmot
- Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes and the County’s Commission on the Status of Women will present the 2012 Mercer County Woman of Achievement and Mercer County Young Woman of Achievement awards at the commission’s annual reception on Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012
, at 6 p.m. at Mercer Oaks Clubhouse, 725 Village Road West in West Windsor.
“Each year, a countless number of women who live and work in Mercer County quietly volunteer their time, energy and resources in an effort to improve the lives of others,” said Hughes. “These women have dedicated themselves to making Mercer County a better place to live.”
This is the ninth year the Mercer County Woman of Achievement Award will be presented. This award was established to honor women who are Mercer County residents and 18 years old or older who volunteer time to make the County a better place to live, raise a family and work.
The Young Woman of Achievement Award was created in 2006 and honors a female high school student 18 years old or younger who has shown a commitment to the Mercer County community through volunteer work.
The County Commission on the Status of Women’s choices for the 2012 Woman of Achievement awards are:
- Toni Campbell of Lyndale Avenue, Trenton, who volunteers at Central Baptist Church in Ewing.
- Kathleen Simmons of Bunker Hill Avenue, Lawrence, who volunteers at the Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center in Trenton.
- Linda Taormina of Pizzulo Road, Hamilton, who volunteers at Pearson United Methodist Church F.R.O.G.s (Friends Relying on God) in Hamilton.
The County Commission on the Status of Women’s choice for the 2012 Young Woman of Achievement award is:
- Arelys Cordero, a senior at Trenton Central High School and president of the school’s Interact Volunteer Club.
“This annual award ceremony has become a much anticipated tradition whereby residents of Mercer County can share the stories of the amazing women around them,” said Wendy Cohen, the commission’s chairwoman–elect.
The deadline for reception reservations is Nov. 1. To make a reservation, or for more information, contact commission staff at (609) 989-6982.