(a) For purposes of this rule, the term "phasedown" shall mean a phased reduction in size of a government operation, in anticipation of a closing of the operation.
(b) When an appointing authority makes an appointment to a specific position in State service or a specific title in local service, an interim appointment shall be made where the position/title is held by a permanent employee who:
1. Is on a leave of absence;
2. Is on indefinite suspension;
3. Has been removed or demoted for disciplinary reasons and is awaiting final administrative action by the Merit System Board on appeal; or
4. Has accepted an interim appointment.
(c) An interim appointment may be made where the position/title will be abolished at a future date pursuant to a closing or phasedown of a government operation. Such an interim appointment may be made only following official notification to the Commissioner of Personnel by the applicable department head, in State service, or by the appointing authority, in local service, of the closing or phasedown.
(d) An interim appointment may also be made to a vacant position/title in a government operation not scheduled for a closing or phasedown where:
1. An employee of a government operation scheduled for a closing or phasedown has accepted a reassignment to that government operation;
2. Due to operational requirements, the employee is needed by the governmental operation scheduled for the closing or phasedown while it continues to operate;
3. The government operation not scheduled for a closing or phasedown needs to fill the vacant position/title to which the employee would have been reassigned; and
4. The notification requirements in (c) above are met.
(e) When an appointing authority does not make an appointment in the situations listed in (b) above, the appointing authority shall reserve a position/title for the absent employee as a vacant position/title.
(f) Any interim appointment shall remain in effect only during the period of time that the permanent employee is on an approved leave of absence, on indefinite suspension or awaiting final administrative action of the Merit System Board on the appeal of a disciplinary demotion or removal, or during the period leading up to the date on which the closing or phasedown of the government operation is scheduled to conclude.
1. At the end of the interim appointment, the appointee shall return to his or her permanent title.
(g) An interim appointee shall possess the minimum qualifications for the title.
(h) If a complete eligible list exists for the title, the interim appointment shall be made from that list. An interim appointee's name shall remain on the eligible list for consideration for permanent employment.
1. If the closing or phasedown of a government operation is rescinded after an interim appointment has been made from an eligible list, the interim appointee who was appointed from the eligible list shall receive a permanent appointment subject to the satisfactory completion of a working test period, regardless of whether the eligible list has already expired.
(i) An interim appointee shall continue to accrue seniority in his or her permanent title.
(j) The layoff rights of an interim appointee shall be determined from his or her permanent title. See N.J.A.C. 4A:8-2.
(k) The appointing authority shall advise interim appointees of their rights under an interim appointment. See N.J.A.C. 4A:4-4.7 for effect on permanent appointment rights.