|Facility Safety Responsibilities
Stack sampling and source evaluation exposes DEP
officials and consultants to potential safety hazards
in the field. Ensuring the safety of all field personnel
at facilities is an issue that the BTS takes very seriously.
To insure the safety of all field personnel, stack sampling
platforms, both permanent and temporary, and access
ways leading to and from the platforms or testing locations,
must be designed and erected in such a manner as to
conform to published safety laws and regulations. If
the BTS observer feels the sampling location is unsafe
for any reason, the test will be postponed at his/her
A short list of safety concerns that could result in
a test cancellation is as follows. This list is by no
means all inclusive.
- Improper scaffold erection and tie off.
- Corroded and/or structurally compromised surfaces.
- Unsafe, inappropriate or nonexistent but necessary
- Unsecured electrical hazards.
- Dangerously icy, wet, or hot surfaces.
- High winds.