For more specific information on any Air related issue, please select a Bureau/Program, Topic of Interest or Resource from the dropdowns below to visit the website specific to that choice.
While some of these links go to US federal, state, or other governmental sites, others go to commercial, educational, or other non-governmental sites. The responsibility for the content and function of those sites belongs to those sites' administrators.
Our major goal is to attain and maintain clean air.
This is done by:
1. Monitoring the outdoor air and determining if National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) are exceeded (Bureau of Air Monitoring);
2. Developing plans to attain the NAAQS, maintaining an inventory of air pollution sources, and predicting health risks from sources of air pollution (Bureau of Evaluation and Planning);
3. Developing rules to limit emissions to the air from stationary, mobile and other sources of air pollution (Regulatory Development);
4. Evaluating and deciding applications for construction of new and modified stationary sources of air pollution including comprehensive Operating Permits which contain all the air pollution control requirements for the approximately 300 major emitting facilities in NJ (Bureau of Stationary Sources);
5. Promoting electric and reduced emission vehicles with a variety of voluntary and grant programs (DriveGreen NJ);
6. Reducing emissions with a particulate filter retrofit program, anti-idling program, and vehicle inspection programs (Bureau of Mobile Sources).