Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
new jersey department of environmental protection
NJ Home Page Services A to Z NJ FAQs NJ Departments/Agencies departments

Environmental Guidance for All
Child Care Facilities

Home > How to Obtain a Child Care Facility Approval (CCFA) Letter

How to Obtain a Child Care Facility Approval (CCFA) Letter

Child Care Centers that are not subject to the Madden legislation may hire any environmental consultant to conduct an environmental review. For more information on how to choose an environmental consultant, please visit:

An environmental review must include, at a minimum, a Preliminary Assessment (conducted in accordance with the Technical Requirements for Site Remediation) and documentation that safe drinking water is being provided. This minimum package must be submitted accompanied with the appropriate form, and submitted to:

NJ Department of Environmental Protection
Site Remediation Program
Bureau of Case Assignment & Initial Notice
PO Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

  • If, as a result of the PA, it can be demonstrated that there are no potential areas of concern on the property, then the PA along with supporting drinking water certification, should be submitted to NJDEP for review for issuance of a CCFA.
  • If the results of the PA identify area(s) of concern (AOCs) within the child care facility portion of the property, the site becomes subject to the Madden Legislation and a Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP) must be hired to conduct further investigation and remediation (if required), and pursue a Response Action Outcome (RAO). Please click here for information on how to find a LSRP and obtain a RAO.
njdep homeabout depindex by topicprograms and unitsdep online