Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
new jersey department of environmental protection
NJ Home Page Services A to Z NJ FAQs NJ Departments/Agencies departments

Environmental Guidance for All
Child Care Centers

Home > How to Obtain a Letter of Prior Uses

How to Obtain a Letter of Prior Uses

As part of the (DCF) licensing process, determination as to whether the Child Care Center is in a building that ever housed an activity that falls under any of the four Uniform Construction Code (UCC) group codes as listed below is required:

  • Funeral Home (Group A)
  • Nail salon/Dry cleaner (Group B)
  • Storage (Group S)
  • High hazard (Group H)
  • Factory/industrial (Group F)
  • Gas Station (Group M)

Past usage of a property relative to UCC group classification can best be provided by the construction code official of the municipality in which the property is located. A listing of municipal construction code officials can be found on the Department of Community Affairs' web site. Questions about the Uniform Construction Code should be directed to the Department of Community Affairs, Code Assistance Unit at (609) 984-7609.

More information on the Uniform Construction Code

Department of Health Indoor Air Evaluations for Child Care Centers

To comply with indoor air evaluations, the Department of Health (DOH), Indoor Environments Program, should be contacted to determine what steps, if any, are necessary to address the risks posed by the prior historical use.

The Indoor Environments Program can be contacted by calling 609-826-4950 or via the Web form at:

Guidance to child care center operators and their environmental consultants can be found on the DOH website at:

njdep homeabout depindex by topicprograms and unitsdep online