|Excerpts Regarding Development and Implementation of Local Discharge Limitations
From the New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Regulations (N.J.A.C. 7:14A-1.1 et seq).
N.J.A.C. 7:14A-19.7 Development of local limits by local agencies
(a) All local agencies shall perform a headworks analysis in order to develop local limits or demonstrate that local limits are not necessary. The headworks analysis and, if necessary, development of local limits shall:
- Be conducted in accordance with the "Guidance Manual on the Development and Implementation of Local Discharge Limitations under the Pretreatment Program" (December 1987, USEPA Office of Water Enforcement), including all supplements and amendments thereto; and
- Ensure compliance with the following minimum environmental protection criteria:
- The numerical effluent limitations in the local agency's NJPDES permit;
- The local agency's process inhibition and upset criteria;
- The local agency's worker health and safety protection criteria;
- The sludge quality criteria for a chosen method(s) of sludge management; and
- The limitations in the local agency's Air Pollution Control permit, where applicable.
N.J.A.C. 7:14A-21.10 Establishing conditions and effluent limitations for an individual NJPDES-SIU permit
(a) Effluent limitations for NJPDES-SIU permits shall be developed for the applicable pollutants based on one or more of the following:
- Local limits developed in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:14A-19.7;
- ...limitations... calculated by the Department to prevent pass through or interference...
The "Guidance Manual on the Development and Implementation of Local Discharge Limitations under the Pretreatment Program" has been amended (and for all practical purposes replaced) by the USEPA "Local Limits Development Guidance", July 2004, Office of Wastewater Management and its appendices.
A brief summary of limits development is included in NJDEP's "Guidance Manual for Pretreatment Program Compliance for Non-Delegated Local Agencies" which is available as an Adobe Acrobat PDF at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dwq/pdf/ppcnla.pdf .
Note: You must have Adobe Reader to view and print this document.