Frequently Asked Questions
A Landscape Irrigation Contractor is a person who is certified by the Landscape Irrigation Examining Board to perform the construction, repair, maintenance, improvement and alteration of any portion of a landscape irrigation system, including required wiring within that system and connection to the required power supply and the installation and connection to a public or private water supply system under the terms and conditions of a contract. A landscape irrigation system is any assemblage of components, materials or special equipment which is designed, constructed and installed for controlled dispersion of water from any safe and suitable source, including properly treated wastewater, for the purpose of irrigating landscape vegetation or the control of dust and erosion on landscaped areas, including integral pumping systems or integral control systems for manual, semi-automatic or automatic control of the operation of these systems.
- What are the qualifications for taking
the Landscape Irrigation Exam?
- Does a Master plumber need to
take the Landscape Irrigation exam become an Irrigation Contractor?
- What are the closing dates and examination dates?
- What are the fees for examination?
- Can I reschedule my exam?
- How much is the certification fee?
- How long is the certification valid for?
- Who do I make the check payable to?
- Who should I notify of my address change?
- My certification is expired. Can it still be renewed?
- When can I renew my certification?
- Can I pay my renewal fee online?
1. What are the qualifications for taking the Landscape Irrigation
To become a certified as an Irrigation Landscape Contractor, an applicant must have a minimum of three (3) years experience working with the construction, repair, maintenance, improvement, and alteration of a landscaping irrigation system and/or educational experience. Field experience must be acquired after January 1, 1997 while employed under a certified contractor. New legislation taking effect approximately July 15, 2010 will change the experience requirements to: a minimum of 3 year’s experience within the past 15 years in the field of landscape irrigation. Field experience acquired after January 1, 1997 must comply with the requirements of P.L. 1991, c. 27 (C.45:5AA et seq.)(cf: P.L.1991, c. 27, s.4).
2. Does a Master plumber need to take the
Landscape Irrigation exam become an Irrigation Contractor?
Plumbing contractors as defined in N.J.S.A. 45:14C-2 are exempt from having to obtain certification. The intent of this exemption is to allow those plumbing contractors installing landscape irrigation systems as part of their plumbing business to continue to do so.
3. What are the closing dates and examination dates?
March 1st closing date for the April exam, September 1st closing date for the October exam.
4. What are the fees for examination?
The application fee is $45.00. The examination fee is $150.00.
5. Can I reschedule my exam?
Yes, providing your application has not expired. Landscape Irrigation application are good for 2yrs. Your request must be in writing and either mailed or faxed to the Bureau of Licensing & Pesticides Operations.
6. How much is the certification fee?
The initial fee for certification is $300.00.
7. How long is the certification valid for?
The certification term is two (2) years.
8. Who do I make the check payable to?
Checks should be made payable to Treasurer, State of New Jersey.
9. Who should I notify of my address change?
You should contact the Bureau of Licensing & Pesticides Operations. It is important to keep your address current in our files to ensure that you receive the renewal form for your license.
10. My certification is expired. Can it still be renewed?
Your certification must be renewed within 2 years of the expiration date.
11. When can I renew my certification?
Renewals are sent out approximately 60 days prior to the expiration date on your certification.
12. Can I pay my renewal fee online?
Yes. Go to DEP Online and select Pay for a License (listed under Non-Registered Services). You must have your invoice number, license number and credit card/checking account information available to utilize this service.
While our office strives to provide answers to any and all questions you may have there may be additional questions not addressed by our FAQ ’s. If you do not see the answer to a question you have please email us at email@example.com