- Examples of FGDC compliant
metadata are available as a guide for documenting other data sets.
- Answers to frequently asked questions about metadata
are found in the Metadata FAQ's section.
- Visit our training page for information on
self-taught metadata training.
- The Ten Most Common Metadata Errors are listed
in a PDF file from the FGDC and the National Metadata Cadre.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files.)
- Need help with understanding metadata standard terminology?
Download NJMetaLite help files for GIS friendly definitions. After
opening, just click on the index tab and input the field title to
display a GIS detailed definition.
Metadata Resource Materials
- Download the generic Metadata checklist (requires MS Word)
used in the metadata training class. Checklist must be utilized in conjunction with the personal
metadata template, ESRI ArcCatalog, and procedures discussed during class. Contact
John Bocchino with any questions.
- Download the DEP Personal Metadata Template. This generic template
is used in specialized training classes to help users create a template with generic personal contact
information and/or other generic organizational information that is contained in all metadata records.
After completion, it is to be imported on each data set before data specific metadata is added.
- View the MAC-URISA Powerpoint Presentation on "Metadata in ArcGIS 10: Challenges and Solutions".
The presentation also contains information about the EPA Metadata Editor.
- Download the NJDEP EME metadata.mbd. This mdb is NJDEP's version of EPA's metadata.mdb.
Customized EPA information contained in various databases have been removed for easier modification.
Users will need to copy/paste this version over EPA's in two directories:
- C:\Program Files\Innovate! Inc\EPA Metadata Editor\template
- C:\Document and Settings\*username*\Aplication Data\Innovate\ (EPA ver.)