People, Programs & Resources for
New Jersey's Heritage...
New Jersey's Historic Preservation Office, located within the Department of Environmental Protection, brings expertise in a variety of fields essential to preserving historic resources.
We count among our staff historians, researchers, planners, architectural historians, architects, engineers, & archaeologists. We respond to more than 40,000 calls yearly from people working to preserve, protect and promote New Jersey's historic resources.
Whether you are interested in establishing a local historic district, nominating a building to the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places, or interested in restoring your house, you can find information and guidance by following the links on this page.
News & Highlights:
- 2017 New Jersey Historic Preservation Awards
- The New Jersey Cultural Alliance for Response (NJCAR)
- 2017 Schedule for the Historic Sites
Council Meetings & Agenda
- HPO Intern Program Available
- 2018 Certified Local Government (CLG) Grant Applications Available
- The New Jersey Register of Historic Places
Rules (N.J.A.C. 7:4) - Readopted With
Technical Changes Effective July 2, 2015
- Hurricane Sandy Information
- New Jersey and National Registers Listings, by County
Meetings & Events:
- CLG Grant Applications Available
September 26, 2017
- Historic Sites Council
August 16, 2017
- State Review Board
November 9, 2017
- Research Training Dates
- CLG Grant Application Deadline
January 19, 2018
- Directions to Historic Preservation Office (PDF Format)
- Historic Preservation Office Directory (PDF Format)
- Historic Preservation Office Mission Statement (PDF Format)
- Historic Preservation, Article Reprint, OSP Memo, April 1996 (PDF Format)
- Links to Other Historic Preservation Resources
501 East State Street
Station Plaza Building 5, 4th Floor
Mail Code 501-04B
State of New Jersey
Department of Environmental Protection
Historic Preservation Office
PO Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420
TEL: (609) 984-0176
FAX: (609) 984-0578
Documents on this site noted as "PDF Format" require Adobe Acrobat Reader. Please Note: You may need to upgrade to Version 4.0 for all PDF Documents to load successfully. If you have trouble downloading any documents on this website, hard copies may be requested by contacting the HPO; see contact information above.
IDENTIFY - "White Manna Diner" courtesy Leon Yost;
PROTECT - "Trenton War Memorial Flagpole" courtesy Vitetta Group;
PRESERVE - "State House Annex" courtesy NJ Division of Building and Construction;
SUSTAIN - "Operation Archaeology" courtesy Union County Office of Cultural & Heritage Affairs.
This publication has been financed in part with federal funds from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, and administered by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Historic Preservation Office. The contents and opinions do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the U.S. Department of the Interior. This program receives federal financial assistance for the identification and protection of historic properties. Under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the U.S. Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, or handicap in its federally assisted programs.If you believe that you have been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility as described above, or if you desire further information, please write to: Office of Equal Opportunity, National Park Service, 1849 C Street, NW (NC200), Washington D.C. 20240.