nj homemy new jerseynj peoplenj businessnj governmentdepartments

350 Years of New Jersey History
Jump to:

Official 350th Logo
innovation, liberty, diversity graphic

A Place in New Jersey History:

Innovation, Liberty and Diversity in
New Jersey’s historic buildings and sites

Places that made history in the Garden State, selected by the New Jersey Historic Preservation Office, Department of Environmental Protection


New Jersey—350 Years of Innovation, Liberty and Diversity
richly illustrated in 36 selected historic buildings and sites.

Tangible evidence of the dreams, aspirations and great accomplishments of New Jersey’s people over three-and-a-half centuries abounds in the built environment of the Garden State.   Many exceptional examples of historic places link us back to the ways diverse, innovative, freedom-loving New Jerseyans shaped their destiny and in so doing had a profound impact on our nation and the world.

The State Historic Preservation Office has chosen 36 representative sites that illustrate this.  Each month of the 2014 anniversary year, three outstanding locations on the 350th themes of Innovation, Liberty and Diversity will be spotlighted here.  Come back often to learn about them, and better still, make plans to visit them!

In fulfilling its mission to protect and promote public and private stewardship of New Jersey’s architectural and archaeological heritage, the State Historic Preservation Office identifies and documents National Historic Landmarks and properties listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and monitors the impact of public projects on historic properties.

 

 

 

 


New Jersey
350 years of
History

 

 

Official New
Jersey 350

Year Website

 

INDEX
(
To view
previous sites
select below:)

INNOVATION

LIBERTY

DIVERSITY

 

A Place In New Jersey History:
innovation yellow graphic Camp Evans Radar Antenna Photograph

New Jersey-350 years of Innovation

Camp Evans

Wall Township, Monmouth County
National Historic Landmark

Liberty gray graphic Finn's Point Cemetery photograph New Jersey-350 years of Liberty

Finn's Point National Cemetery, 1875

Salem County, Pittsgrove Township National Cemetery, National and
State Registers of Historic Places
Diversity blue graphic Thomas Fortune Residence house photograph New Jersey-350 years of Diversity

T. Thomas Fortune
Residence


Monmouth County, Redbank Borough
Private Residence National Historic
Landmark, HABS
 
 


Back to Top



Innovation: Camp Evans


     

New Jersey - 350 years of Innovation
 
Innovation yellow graphic
Camp Evans Radar Antenna Photograph Camp Evans

Camp Evans
Wall Township, Monmouth County
National Historic Landmark


Working for the U.S. Army Signal Corps, scientists and technicians at Camp Evans researched and developed advanced electronic systems and tools for military and civilian use during much of the 20th century. From 1912 until the 1920s, the site was the home of the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company of America’s receiving station for wireless transatlantic communications. Marconi’s new radio wave technology was used by the U.S. Navy for important communications during World War I. In 1941, the U.S. Army purchased the facility, and the Signal Corps opened a secret research and development facility there, greatly enlarging the property with many additional buildings. During and after the war, Camp Evans scientists made important discoveries in the field of radar, developments that revolutionized modern warfare.

In Project Diana after the war, Camp Evans bounced radio waves off the surface of the moon and read their echo, demonstrating the possibility to communicate beyond the earth’s atmosphere. This achievement showed, in principle, that it would be possible to communicate with spacecraft and with artificial satellites that could observe our planet from space. These capabilities have led to many military applications, but they have also given us weather satellites, for example, by which we can track hurricanes—including Sandy—and have global communications that support the Internet.

Through the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process, the Department of Defense decided to close Camp Evans in 1993. Largely because of the dedication of long-time advocate Fred Carl, other volunteers, and the local community, Camp Evans is now the home of the Information Age Learning Center (InfoAge), a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the legacy of Camp Evans and fostering educational activities related to science and innovation. Over 30 buildings and structures remain on the 27-acre property, including the Project Diana antenna and the only known collection of Buckminster Fuller’s Dymaxion Deployment Units.

Camp Evans was designated a National Historic Landmark (NHL) on October 16, 2012, to recognize the important role it played in World War II. The Landmark nomination states, “Equipment developed, tested, battle hardened, documented, and upgraded at Camp Evans saw use in all World War II theaters of war and protected American military assets worldwide.”

Camp Evans Radar Antenna Photograph Camp Evans "H" Complex Buildings Photograph

Camp Evans Project Diana antenna built for
the first experiments in radar astronomy,
1945-46. The antenna transmitted and
received the first radio waves bounced off
the moon.

Camp Evans "H" Complex buildings 9036
and 9037, with Dymaxion Deployment Unit
in foreground, left.

 
For more information on this site and subject, search the following terms: “Camp Evans”, “InfoAge”, “Project Diana radio” and “radar history.”
 

     

Back to Top


Liberty: Finn's Point National Cemetery, 1875


New Jersey - 350 years of Liberty
 
Liberty Gray Graphic
Finn's Point Cemetery photograph Finn's Point National Cemetery
1875


Salem County, Pittsgrove Township
National Cemetery, National and
State Registers of Historic Places


While the Blue and Gray fought no battles on New Jersey soil, Civil War dead from both Union and Confederate armies rest in hallowed ground at Finn's Point National Cemetery along the banks of the Delaware River in Salem County.  During the latter years of the nation's greatest conflict, malnutrition and rampant disease claimed the lives of almost 2,700 Confederate prisoners of war held at nearby Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island (now Delaware's Fort Delaware State Park).  Beginning in 1863, the Federal government began ferrying deceased prisoners for interment in a small parcel set aside at Finn's Point, a 104-acre tract purchased by the U.S. in 1837 to defendthe river from naval attack. Nearly 2,500 Confederates were buried in unmarked graves here, along with 135 Union prison guards who likewise succumbed to disease.

Finn's Point earned designation as a national cemetery in 1875, with a marble monument to the Union dead and a Superintendent's Lodge in the Second Empire style erected on the site soon after. In 1910, the Federal government honored the Confederate veterans buried at the site with an 85-foot granite obelisk and bronze panels listing their names. Also interred are American veterans through World War II, along with 13 deceased German POWs from Fort Dix in the 1940s.

Finn's Point National Cemetery is adjacent to and accessible from Fort Mott
State Park
.

Confederate Monument Photograph

Union Monument Photograph Superintendent's House Photograph
Confederate Monument, 1910 Union Monument,
circa 1875
Superintendent's Lodge , 1877
All photos Courtesy U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, National Cemetery Administration,
History Program.
 
For more information on this site and subject, visit http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/national_cemeteries/New_Jersey/Finns_Point_National_
Cemetery.html

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/fortmott.html
or search the following terms: “Finn's Point National Cemetery” “Fort Mott State Park”
“Fort Delaware”
 

Back to Top


Diversity: T. Thomas Fortune Residence


New Jersey - 350 years of Diversity
 
Diversity Blue Graphic
Thomas Fortune Residence house photograph T. Thomas Fortune House
1901


Monmouth County, Redbank Borough
Private Residence
National Historical Landmark, HABS


Timothy Thomas Fortune (1856-1928) achieved national prominence as a black journalist, newspaper publisher, gifted orator and strident advocate for civil rights in the late-19th and early-20th centuries.  Born into slavery in Marianna, Florida, Fortune acquired an interest in politics and journalism after the Civil War from his father, Reconstruction politician Emanuel Fortune.  Educated in Freedmen's Bureau schools in Florida and briefly at Howard University, Fortune launched a journalistic, editorial and publishing career spanning a quarter-century, principally in New York City.  His newspapers, the New York Globe, New York Freeman, and New York Age, became national forums for social and political discourse on black civil rights issues.  A sometimes uneasy collaborator with his famous contemporary, Booker T. Washington (1856-1915), Fortune acquired a reputation as a more militant, activist force, using his fame and influence to organize two early forerunners of the NAACP:  the National Afro-American League (1889) and National Afro-American Council (1898). 

Although remaining a newspaper editor and columnist, Fortune retreated from public life in 1901 due to illness.  In that year he purchased a home in Redbank at 94 West Bergen Place, an eclectic Victorian-era residence constructed in stages from 1860 to 1885, with 20th-century additions.
He resided there until 1915.

T. Thomas Fortune Portrait Engraving
T. Thomas Fortune's House Photograph

T. Thomas Fortune.
Courtesy New York Public Library

T. Thomas Fortune House.
Courtesy Historic American Buildings Survey,
Library of Congress

 
For more information on this site and subject, search the following terms:
"T. Thomas Fortune" "T. Thomas Fortune House Redbank" "T. Thomas Fortune Civil Rights"
 

Back to Top

hpo: home | identify | protect | preserve | sustain
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | my new jersey | people | business | government | departments | search
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2007
Department of Environmental Protection
P. O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

Last Updated: October 8, 2014

CONTACT THE HPO