Preservation Awards Presented in State House
The New Jersey Department
of Environmental Protection (DEP) , Historic Preservation Office and NJ
Historic Sites Council presented awards recognizing the steadfast efforts
of individuals, organizations and government agencies to preserve the State's
valuable resources at the annual New Jersey Historic Preservation Awards
Ceremony at the New Jersey State House Assembly Chambers, on May 1, 2004.
Assistant Commissioner for Natural and Historic Resources
and Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer John S. Watson, Jr. welcomed
the recipients and guests, and read the Governor's Historic Preservation
Week proclamation. Historic Sites Council member Mark Mutter prsented the
awards on behalf of the Council.
for outstanding "Contributions or Excellence"
were presented to the following:
Burlington County, Burlington City
The Metropolitan Inn of Burlington City was historically known as the Blue
Anchor Tavern and is said to contain 250 years worth of history within its
Having stood vacant
for over ten years, its colorful history and prominent location at the heart
of Burlington’s historic district was targeted for transformation. There
were three key goals in mind: the creation of affordable housing for low
income seniors, the expansion of versatile retail space, and the preservation
of the historic architecture.
The façade was repaired
in order to approximate the building’s exterior circa 1930. The main commercial
entrance facing High Street was retained, with the fanlight transom above
the doorway uncovered, and the pediment above replaced to its 1930s appearance.
Code-compliant steps and a ramp were installed. On the interior, an ornate
Victorian wood and marble bar (that survived an 1856 fire), a pressed tin
ceiling, original window, door and wall trim were all restored. On the second
floor, one of the apartments contains the vestiges of the “Presidential
Suite,” whose historic marble fireplace, entrance vestibule, plaster crown
molding, and elaborate window and door trim remain intact. Some of the circulation
corridors highlight the existing corbelled brick cornices, which are also
visible on the exterior walls facing the courtyard. The monumental staircase
with ornamental balusters and railings remain in place, and an exterior
wrought-iron balcony was refurbished.
Metropolitan Inn, managed by Pennrose Properties, Inc. now contains a total
of sixteen one-bedroom, adaptable and handicapped units, as well as 8,000
square feet of retail space on the first floor. The building offers plenty
of natural light, varied floor plans, historic significance, and easy access
to downtown Burlington and the new River Line - coincidentally at the location
of Burlington’s first railway stop. The entire project took 22 months and
cost $1,388,060. Its transformation illustrated how preserving a community’s
past can so effectively intertwine with creating its future.
Recognition to the
project team: Pennrose Properties, Inc., Developer; Kitchen & Associates,
Architects; PWI Engineering; Michael A. Beach & Associates, Structural Engineer;
Domus, Inc., General Contractor; Noble Preservation, Historic Preservation
Street Bridge Rehabilitation
Paterson City, Passaic
The Straight Street Bridge is a six panel, Pennsylvania through-truss bridge
on brownstone abutments which had been built for an earlier structure that
washed away in 1903. The current bridge is a 225-foot single span and 30.7
feet wide bridge completed in 1907. This truss was originally designed for
the Pennsylvania Railroad with the ability to support the heavy loads required
for rail traffic. Such heavy trusses were seldom used on roads, but the
industrial setting of Paterson dictated that a stronger bridge would be
needed at that location.
was completed with almost no visible changes to the superstructure. All
components below the bridge deck were replaced including the cantilevered
sidewalks. To minimize visual changes NJDOT used round headed bolts as replacements
for deteriorated rivets, a hollow steel rail barrier was used in place of
standard guide rail to protect the trusses; and historic style light fixtures
were installed. Deteriorated elements were replaced in kind, and the original
sidewalk railing was sandblasted, painted and re-installed.
project took 20 months and cost $3.2 Million. The original plan for this
structure was to replace it with a four lane, modern concrete bridge, but
through the careful consideration and scrutiny that is mandated by federal
transportation laws, it was realized that the rehabilitation alternative
would be cost effective, logical and adequately address the project need.
With this project, the Straight Street Bridge should be around for another
100 years. Saving this vestige of its past provides Paterson with a vital
link to it’s history, at the location of the first planned industrial center
in the newly formed United States.
to the project team: NJ Department of Transportation: Shan Sundaram, Project
Manager, David A. Zmoda, Principal Environmental Specialist, Shawn Rabban,
Resident Engineer. Parsons Engineering: David E. Hollod, Design Consultant.
Colonnelli Brothers, Inc, General Contractor: Robert Campbell, Project Engineer.
Passaic County: Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Steven Edmond,
Passaic County Engineer.
"Close to Home... History in Our Own Backyard"
Close to Home…History in Our Own Backyard is an initiative undertaken by
the Bergen County Record to motivate students to not only learn about historic
sites, but to visit them as well. During the months of January and February
2004, weekly activities were printed in the newspaper based on historical
themes, associated with specific, accessible historic sites. The published
activities were complimented by teacher in-service events to help educators
incorporate local history in their lesson plans. These were held at William
Paterson University, The Record, the Stadium Club at Giants Stadium and
the Bergen County Vocational-Technical School’s Campus in Hackensack. More
than 150 teachers attended these sessions. After publication, the activities
were made available on a web site. Each newspaper supplement included a
“Passport to the Past” coupon. Students visiting five of the eight sites
were able to redeem the “Passport” for a free gift by mailing it back to
the Bergen Record. More than 21 schools returned these coupons. The sites
were chosen based on their availability to the general public, and themes
that would show the progression of history from Colonial
times to the present.
This program was made
possible through a community grant from the Bergen County Education Association.
This series was created by Cynthia Forster, Manager of the Education Services
at the Record, and a former teacher and secretary of the NJ Council on the
Social Studies, who worked with Diane Castino, a former president of the
NJ Council for the Social Studies, and a social studies teacher at the Lovell
Honiss School in Dumont.
program was made possible through a community grant from the Bergen County
Education Association. This series was created by Cynthia Forster, Manager
of the Education Services at the Record, and a former teacher and secretary
of the NJ Council on the Social Studies, who worked with Diane Castino,
a former president of the NJ Council for the Social Studies, and a social
studies teacher at the Lovell Honiss School in Dumont.
The Bergen County Office
of Cultural and Historic Affairs provided artwork and historic information
through Janet Strom, line drawings were produced by retired Record artist
Charles Mcgill and James Whitney a New Milford artist and school employee.
Recognition to the
project team: Cynthia Forster of the Bergen Record; Diane Castino, Student
Activity Writer, Lovell Honiss School; James Whitney, Artist and employee
of the Lovell Honiss School.
of the Jacobus Vanderveer House
With its surrounding acreage, the Jacobus Vanderveer House is the last remaining
site in Somerset County to have been associated with the locally prominent
Vanderveer family. It is the only structure that remains intact from which
to interpret the Vanderveer family and local Revolutionary War Activities.
While the period of historical significance is 1772, when the building was
first built, the house reached its architectural apex in 1813, immediately
following Mary Hardenburgh Vanderveers’ Federal style additions.
In its approach to
interpretation, the rehabilitation of the Jacobus Vanderveer House is unique.
While an important part of the significance of the house lies in the Vanderveer’s
role in the Revolutionary War, architecturally the building’s significance
lies in the evolution of its framing to its ca. 1813 appearance. By leaving
both wings intact and treating them differently on the interior both aspects
of the buildings significance - its architectural and historical importance
- can be interpreted. The Vanderveer family and eighteenth century life
will be interpreted in the period rooms of the ca. 1772 section. The Pluckemin
Encampment and local participation in the Revolution will be represented
in movable and permanent exhibits in the gallery spaces of the ca. 1813
section. On the interior, these zones of interpretation are clearly expressed
in the different finish treatments and lighting while on the exterior, a
single period - the building’s 1813 appearance is captured.
The project scope was
extensive, involving documentary research, selective demolition, careful
investigation and analysis, restoration of existing finishes and reconstruction
of missing elements. Currently, archeological investigation is being used
to reconstruct the footprint of the original kitchen wing, which was built
contemporaneously with the older section.
successful collaboration between the Township of Bedminster and the Friends
organization is enabling the potential of this significant local and regional
resource to be fully realized. Funding has been secured from Somerset County,
NJ Historic Trust funds, and private donations. Thus far, the project has
taken three (3) years and cost $629,000.
Recognition to the
project team: The Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House Trustees; Linda
McTeague , Preservation Planning Consultant; The Township of Bedminster,
Owner; Holt Morgan Russell Architects, PA; Hunter Research, Inc., Archaeology;
Princeton Engineering Group, LLC; French & Parello Associates, P.A., Structural
Engineer; Haverstick Borthwick Co., Inc.; Ludlow Heating & Cooling, Mechanical
Old House Foundation/Samuel Wright House Project
This project is recognized as both an initiative and a significant old house.
Shortly after the Salem Main Street project got underway, a group of civic-minded
individuals recognized the need to address revitalization of the city’s
remarkable stock of historic residential properties, many of which were
included in the City’s two historic districts. The Old House Foundation
was established with substantial seed funding from a local business, and
the following mission adopted: “To rehabilitate domestic, historic architecture
and adjoining property in Salem….and to accomplish this, the Foundation
may …purchase, sell, lease, improve, manage and resell…”
Once established, the
Foundation acquired the long-neglected and abused Wright House in August
2000. The Wright House was a rare, surviving example of 18th century housing
in Salem City; it was located in a neighborhood with very few restored historic
structures, but rich with such possibilities; the purchase price was just
$25,000. Construction cost $391,388 and the house sold for $199,000 remarkably
only six days after being placed on the market.
The project was counted
a great success even though it did not recoup its entire investment because
it made a very prominent and visible impact upon the streetscape. Secondly,
it generated a great deal of positive publicity for the city and was the
focus for a number of preservation and history-focused programs. This absentee-owned
tenement was turned into an owner occupied residence and a deed restriction
was placed on the property to ensure its preservation into the future.
Salem Old House Foundation is a “grass roots” effort, capitalizing on local
talent and determination. While this type of organization exists outside
the state of NJ, this may be the first of its kind within. And it is hoped
that this award will help to guarantee the Foundation’s future success as
well as to inspire others to duplicate their methods.
Encouraged by the success
of the Wright House, the Foundation has already purchased another property
and is well underway with creation of another rejuvenated and owner occupied
residence. Additionally, the Abel and Mary Nicholson House National Historic
Landmark in Elsinboro was recently donated to the Foundation along with
seed funding for stabilization. The Foundation is embarking on developing
this site as an educational resource. This is an impressive list of accomplishments
in the few short years since the Foundation got underway in 2000.
Recognition to the
project team: Ronald E. Magill, President/Project Manager, Salem Old House
Foundation, Carol Y. Reese, Executive Vice President, Salem Old House Foundation,
John P. McCarthy, Vice President and Corporate Secretary, Salem Old House
Foundation, Earl Urion, General Contractor.
Historic Ackerman-Dater House (1745) Samp Mill Farm
Saddle River Borough, Bergen County
In 1997, Edward and Patricia DeSear purchased the Ackerman Dater House,
built in 1745 by Johannes Ackerman, and which was included in the Thematic
Nomination of Early Stone Houses of Bergen County, but time had taken its
roof was shot, the built-in Yankee gutters and chimneys needed to be rebuilt,
substantial insect damage was evident, and the walls had to be shored to
replace damaged structural members. Soffits, fasciae, brackets and wood
siding all had to be repaired and new materials made to match the old. Stucco
repairs were needed. Extensive electrical re-wiring and new plumbing was
added. A sensitive new wing was added to provide kitchen and living area
and alleviate pressure from the historic interior spaces.
The project took 18
months and cost $500,000. Rarely has the attention to preservation detail
on a residential rehabilitation rivaled that of a museum property, without
the coaxing of regulatory oversight or encouragement from grant funding.
In such a densely developed part of our state, with competitive real estate
values, this house could easily have been torn down or insensitively renovated.
This property is once again a gem of Saddle River and efforts like this
that go “above and beyond” are worthy of notice.
Recognition to the
project team: Edward and Patricia DeSear, Homeowners; Morpurgo Architects,
Architect; Richard Boerner Design-Build, Contractor
Sam Azeez Museum of Woodbine Heritage
Borough, Cape May County
The Town of Woodbine was founded in 1891 as a haven for Eastern European
Jews who were being persecuted in the Czarist pogrom. The Baron DeHirsch
Fund, organized by the millionaire railroad tycoon Baron DeHirsch, purchased
5,300 acres of land in Dennis Township, Cape May County to start a settlement.
Immigrants from Poland and Russia were invited to settle the new community.
Within two years, they cleared the forest and built a town with thriving
farms. Eight-hundred acres of land were set aside as town lots, and the
residential center of Woodbine still uses the same grid that was originally
laid out in 1891. Using modern agricultural practices, the first colonists
turned Woodbine into a model agricultural community. Woodbine became known
as “the first self-governing Jewish community since the fall of Jerusalem.”
One of the earliest
buildings in the community was the Woodbine Brotherhood Synagogue, which
was built in 1896 as a place for these new residents to meet and worship.
The synagogue was a focal point of religious and social life for the local
community. Religious services were held at the synagogue throughout the
twentieth century. But it was after the Jewish population had dwindled to
a point where there was no longer a congregation to support services, and
the trustees were set to place the building up for sale, that Michael Azeez
The NJ and National
Register listed building underwent a major rehabilitation that included
repointing, a new roof, new windows, re-glazed and restored existing windows,
new wiring, new bathrooms, and a full conversion of the basement to use
as museum space.
resulting museum exhibit has meaning for the community, both past and present.
While portraying the history and heritage of the town, each exhibit panel
raises a question in an effort to encourage people to think, and to see
how the events and circumstances of the past relate to their lives today.
This project took 2 years and cost $1,049,000. The building remains as a
vibrant part of the community, interpreting a unique, but not widely known,
facet of New Jersey’s history.
Recognition to the
project team: Michael Azeez, Founder/Project Administrator; Dommert Phillips,
Exhibit Planning; Steve Tucker Studio #105, Exhibit Artist; United Architects,
Historic Architect; Dell Tech, Building Restoration; Jamison Contractors,
Inc., Masons;United Construction, General Contractor
Hackensack Waterworks Publication
Oradell Borough, Bergen County
The Hackensack Water Works, located on Van Buskirk Island, in Oradell Borough,
was listed on Preservation New Jersey’s ten most endangered sites list in
1996. Since then, and through the tireless advocacy effort of the Water
Works Conservancy, the site is still standing, but awaiting its rebirth.
The written and pictorial documentation of this industrial resource has
provided a catalyst for new thinking and all indications are that a preservation
plan is underway. While the site’s owner, Bergen County had been less than
enthusiastic about keeping this resource intact, this book has helped to
shift momentum into a positive direction.
This nomination received
numerous letters of support including this assessment by historic architect,
John Bowie, who is an expert and lover of industrial resources:
The book is a wonderful
“easy-to-understand history of the complex, as well as a nicely written
explanation of the plant’s context within the phenomenal growth of northern
New Jersey throughout the late-19th and early 20th centuries. Mr. Zink’s
analysis of the role the Hackensack Water Works played not only in the
growth of Bergen County, but in the evolution of the water treatment,
purification and pumping technologies for our nation throughout the last
century casts the complex into a very favorable and convincing light for
a future National Historic Landmark nomination.
Zink’s book is well-illustrated, nicely captioned and thoughtfully laid
out. In particular, I found that his oral histories provided an insight
into the day-to-day activities of operating and maintaining the plant
that is sorely deficient in most historic 20th-century industrial museums.
Funding for this endeavor
was made possible through a variety of private sources, as well as through
substantial grant support from the NJ Historical Commission.
The author of this
book, Clifford Zink, is meticulous in his attention to historical detail,
with a remarkable ability to bring an old building and its story back to
life. He turned this endeavor into a labor of love and brought an inspiring
level of insightful passion to this project.
Recognition to the
project team: Clifford W. Zink, Author; Dave Frieder & Warren A. Renner,
Photographers; J. Reed Gidez & Nicholas J. Besink, Videographers; Linda
T. Besink, Living History Interview Coordinator; Maggie Harrer, Water Works
Conservancy, Inc., Publisher
Newton Town, Sussex County
This award honors an individual for his lifelong dedication to the field
of historic preservation. As advisor, author, county historian, commission
member and company president, Wayne T. McCabe has spent more than 30 years
of his professional life to advancing the appreciation and protection of
New Jersey’s historic resources.
Wayne earned his Master’s
Degree in City and Regional Planning with a concentration in historic preservation
and American architectural history from Rutgers University. One of Preservation
NJ’s founding Board members, Wayne has continued his volunteer commitments
throughout his career and continues to spend many hours as Sussex County
historian giving slide presentations to groups such as seventh graders studying
the Civil War and to residents of nursing homes.
McCabe is the president of McCabe & Associates, a cultural resource firm
celebrating its 10th anniversary, offering a wide range of professional
planning, engineering, land surveying, and historic preservation services
and located in a late-nineteenth century house on Main Street in Newton.
His practice knows
no boundaries as he currently serves as the consultant to the Historic Preservation
Commissions in the City of Burlington, Mount Holly, and Evesham Township
in southern New Jersey; Bergen County’s Mahwah Township Historic Preservation
Commission; and Essex County’s Montclair Township Historic Preservation
Commission as well as in his hometown of Newton. He has also prepared design
and procedural guidelines booklets that are written in the concise language
of a good interpreter who understands the complex language of the Municipal
Land Use Laws, the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation,
and local ordinances and who effectively translates them for a general audience.
also became founding partner of Historic Preservation Alternatives, a small
publishing company that produces paperback pictorials now with nine titles
including A Penny A View: Albums of Postcard Views for Lafayette, Stillwater,
Newton, Sparta, Ogdensburg, Franklin, as well as the Railroads of Sussex
County and Building the Lackawanna Cutoff in Sussex and Warren Counties.
They contain a perfect combination of pictures and text contributing to
and expanding knowledge of local history within smaller rural communities
that do not qualify to have Arcadia books published.
Wayne also teaches
at Drew University’s Continuing Education program in Historic Preservation.
He consistently receives high praise from his students, who range from volunteers
at small historical societies and local zoning board members to professional
land use attorneys and architects. Wayne was enthusiastically nominated
by his own employees for his willingness to share his time and expertise
and to consistently help out in whatever way was needed over his long career.
For this he is truly worthy of recognition
Victor Company, "Nipper Building" Rehabilitation
City, Camden County
The Victor Talking Machine Company and its successor, the Radio Corporation
of America were among a few select industrial giants that played importantly
in the rise of Camden in the last Century. The “Nipper Building” is one
of only four remaining buildings from the once expansive Camden Plant of
the RCA Victor Company.
in 1909-1916, the Nipper Building was the birthplace of the “Victrola” and
recorded sound from the origins of the Victor Talking Machine Co. founded
in 1901. An intact and representative example of early twentieth century
industrial architecture and a work of the important architectural and engineering
firm of Ballinger & Perrot, the Nipper Building was one of the firm’s most
famous commissions, and one that would contribute to their international
reputation for industrial facility design. The building became vacant, vandalized
and a blight to the surrounding waterfront after manufacturing ceased in
1992. In 1997, the building was listed on Preservation New Jersey’s Ten
Most Endangered sites list. Dranoff Properties, with a strong record of
successful rehabilitations of historic sites stepped forward and took on
the challenge of saving and rehabilitating the complex.
Utilizing the Investment
Tax Credit, this 632,000 square foot structure was converted into a complex
that features a mix of 341 one, two and three bedroom upscale loft apartments
- complete with incredible views of the Philadelphia skyline, a 24 hour
four star quality lobby with concierge, an exclusive 3 story rooftop fitness
center, a well appointed club room, conference/media centers, a magnificently
landscaped atrium featuring furnished terraces and decks and finally 25,000
square feet of on-site retail to serve both tenants and the surrounding
community. The restoration was completed in August of 2003 at a cost of
importantly, this project represents the largest private investment in market
rate housing in Camden in over 40 years. Because of this project, a stronger
neighborhood is emerging with new market-rate housing.
In developing this
site, Dranoff overcame the City of Camden’s negative stigma by approaching
the project with the attention to detail and by delivering a compelling
“best in market” product. Approximately 80% of the project’s funding came
from private sources, namely through Dranoff Properties, Fleet Bank and
Related Capital. Remaining funding came from various public sources including
the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority, the NJ Redevelopment Authority
and the Delaware River Port Authority.
This project represents
an incredible vision and the final product is absolutely breathtaking; a
testament to realizing the potential of every urban setting in NJ.
Recognition to the
project team: Dranoff Properties, Developer; Powers & Co., Inc. Historic
Preservation Consultants; Bower Lewis Thrower, Architect; INTECH, General
Contractor; Keast and Hood, Structural Engineers.