2006 Historic Preservation Awards
The New Jersey Department
of Environmental Protection (DEP), Historic Preservation Office and
NJ Historic Sites Council hosted the 16th Annual Historic Preservation
Awards recognizing the efforts of individuals, organizations and government
agencies to preserve the State's valuable resources. The
annual New Jersey Historic Preservation Awards Ceremony was held at
the New Jersey State House Assembly Chambers, on April 29, 2006.
for outstanding "Contributions or Excellence"
were presented to the following:
Friends of the Great Falls Website
County, Paterson City
The award to the
Paterson Friends of Great Falls Web site recognizes innovative efforts
in education and interpretive programs. To fully appreciate this comprehensive
effort visit the web site at www.patersongreatfalls.org.
a basic historical perspective for this industrial icon, the website
also includes news, issues, current events, and links to many other
like minded organizations. The site is replete with breathtaking historic
images and a wealth of links sites with even more photos and images.
The Great Falls
of Paterson is one of New Jersey's newest urban park, and is currently
the subject of a design competition. This web site has proven itself
invaluable to site designers, who are sorting through and sifting out
the history and current events associated with the Great Falls of Paterson
for future park development. The web site serves as a model for any
organizations with a limited budget seeking to get the word out. Most
of the work and research to put this site together was volunteer labor
and the costs to create it were minimal, estimated at about $1,500 over
a six year period. The key to the success of this site is that it is
constantly being maintained and updated by the volunteers.
went to: Barbara Small, website development,, Richard Shulz, David
Soo, and the membership of Paterson Friends of the Great Falls.
of A.S. Woodruff Law Building
County, Camden City
Woodruff Law Building project took an underutilized building in Camden,
used private financing and combined it with a federal investment tax credit
to produce this very simple, but very powerful example of the vitality
and rebirth of Camden's Market Street Historic District
In the past preservationists
have struggled with rehabilitation in Camden on many levels. The law
firm, Loughry and Lindsay, found downtown Camden a hospitable business
environment, close to the state and federal courthouses. This was largely
the same reason why the first lawyers to occupy the A. S. Woodruff Law
Building, originally chose to build in the neighborhood.
The project included
exterior repointing, sensitive adaptation of interior spaces incorporating
special consideration for Americans with disabilities, retention of
trim and window molding, new electrical, heating and cooling systems,
and the restoration of thirty-eight out of forty-four double hung multi-paned
windows, including the arched window.
included a sensitively designed new side entrance to accommodate handicapped
access to all public spaces. The building was originally built as a
twin with both buildings adjoining on the second floor. Historically,
Judge Woodruff rented the individual offices in the "Law Building" on
a permanent or temporary basis to other private attorneys. At some point
the buildings were legally separated and the opening between the two
This award recipient
stands as a model to others, interested in revitalization in the City's
long abandoned downtown commercial areas, and recognizes the important
role of private investment in historic preservation.
went to: Lawrence W. Lindsay, Esq. and Justin T. Loughry, Esq.;
Carmen LaRosa, Architect and Planner; and Bob Thompson, City of Camden.
Township Design Guidelines
Guidelines: A Guide for Maintaining and
Rehabilitating Historic Buildings and Landscapes
County, Hopewell Township
Hopewell Township design guidelines may be the most user friendly, most
concisely written, most visually appealing ever produced in this New
Jersey and possibly nationally.
through Certified Local Government matching grant, and prepared by Preservation
Design Partnership, this project is unique in that it was conceived
as a series of topic-specific brochures. The individual brochures examine
the enabling legislation and administrative review process, identify
local architectural styles and character-defining features of buildings
and their landscape settings, discuss exterior historic buildings systems,
and provide recommendations for future additions and new construction
to complement Hopewell's heritage and richness. The recommendations
throughout are made in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior's
Standards for Rehabilitation with additional technical information included
to allow property owners to make informed decisions when considering
alterations to historic resources.
innovation in this project represents a new approach in the preparation
and presentation of design guidelines to the community. The full color
electronic document could also be presented in either printed topic-specific
guides or bound as a full book. By making information available in the
three formats, Township residents have greater access to the information,
using the Township web site or obtaining the printed information form
the Township offices or local libraries. The total cost of the project
was $61,562.97 which included printing and took just about ten months
went to: Township of Hopewell Historic Preservation Commission;
Judy Niederer, Township Committee and Historic Preservation Commission
Liaison; Robert J. Miller, Municipal Administrative Officer; Dominique
A. Hawkins, Preservation Design Partnership; Patricia M. O'Donnell and
Carrie Mardorf, Heritage Landscapes; Printing was executed by Ridgeway's,
with Maurice Bray serving as the digital color manager
Lakes Historic District Nomination
County, Mountain Lakes Borough
This award was
presented to volunteers who have made significant contributions to the
advancement of historic preservation. The Mountain Lakes Historic District
Nomination is an extraordinary undertaking. This is evident when you
consider that a community of volunteers completed the extensive nomination
for a cost of $2,657, when most professional consulting firms would
have charged as much as $80,000.
The district encompasses
1,087 contributing buildings, sites, and structures, the largest the
Historic Preservation Office has seen since the early 90's. The Mountain
Lakes Historic District is characterized by a chain of nine man-made
lakes, natural streams and springs, acres of woods and wetlands of dedicated
parkland and undeveloped borough-owned lots, naturalistic vegetation,
and boulder stone or fieldstone walls. The planned residential park
includes notably its original housing stock, much of which exists today,
that was strongly influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement in the
United States. The houses display a close relationship between land
contour and building structure, natural material in construction and
simplicity of design that emphasize functionality over ornamentation.
The authors carefully
researched the history of their town, and its significance within the
context of municipal planning and real estate development, going well
beyond the usual level of research needed for an average district nomination.
Dr. Maria Iacullo-Bird studied Mountain Lakes from a planning history
standpoint and wrote the significance statement, successfully linking
it to Craftsman Farms, just a few miles away, and Joan Nix, an architect,
wrote the building descriptions and handled much of the architectural
research while managing the overall project. Neither person had any
previous experience in a project of this type and scope. The volunteer
effort took four years, beginning with the establishment of a historic
preservation committee, expending numerous hours of convincing neighbors,
meetings with neighbors and officials, field documenting the buildings,
researching the history which spans from 1908-1938, writing the nomination,
and photographing this incredible collection of buildings. The list
of contributors receiving recognition this included more than 70 individual
The citizens of
Mountain Lakes can be very proud of this initiative to ensure that this
wonderful tribute to early twentieth century development, boasting one
of the largest and most distinguished collections of Craftsman style
homes in a suburban park and lake community in the United States, has
Train Station Restoration
County, Maywood Township
In may of 2002,
the Maywood Train Station was obsolete and in dilapidated condition,
when the Maywood Station Historical Committee, a division of the New
York, Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society, formed after
it became public that the Borough of Maywood had signed a demolition
order. The last regular passenger train ceased in 1966 and the tracks
in front of the station are presently used exclusively for freight.
The committee quickly mobilized and obtained a certificate of eligibility
for the station, identifying that it is one of the oldest existing stations
in the New Jersey that retains most of its original character defining
features. By July 2002, the committee had a long-term lease with the
railroad and began the restoration project with weekly work sessions.
main objectives were to restore, revitalize and preserve the historic
Victorian style station. While removing stucco, numerous paint samples
were discovered, including what was thought to be the original New Jersey
Midland Railroad colors. The colors were certified and the station is
now the only restored station on the NY, Susquehanna & Western RR colors.
Aside from removing
stucco, a new roof was applied, the exterior completely sanded, primed
and painted, missing or deteriorated architectural elements were restored,
lighting and mechanical systems were added and site improvements were
made. The station was listed in the New Jersey and National Registers
of Historic Places in the Spring of 2003.
The station now
houses a museum preserving railroad and local history for all to enjoy.
According to Ed
Kaminski, the Committee's President: "The Maywood Station Historical
Committee has been receiving continual local and regional support for
their restoration and museum efforts and its roster is comprised of
volunteers from all walks of life working for a common goal. The results
have been impressive and prove what can happen when a group unites for
a common cause to save a piece of its history and at the same time renews
pride in its community."
went to: Ed, Rosemarie, and Kristen Kaminski; Edward Hazuka, Hazuka
Electric Co.; George Haag, Haag Construction; Walter Rich and Nathan
Fenno, NY Susquehanna & Western Railway Corp.; Thomas Fenniman, Architect;
Joseph Fiscella, USA Security Services; US Senator Frank Lautenberg;
John Fuller, Aid to Sen. Lautenberg; Senator Loretta Weinberg; Assemblyman
Gordon Johnson; Assemblywoman Valerie Huttle; and Mayor Thomas Richards.
Peter's Episcopal Church Restoration
County, Perth Amboy City
St. Peter's is significant because it is the oldest Episcopal congregation
in New Jersey, having held continuous religious services since 1685.
Since 1685, there have been three buildings on the site. The present
church was completed in 1853. St. Peter's is an elegant Gothic Revival
building constructed in brick with accents in brownstone and a handsome
copper spire. It is set on a prominent hill over looking the Raritan
Bay toward Station Island.
One of the challenges
facing all religious properties is balance the quality of workmanship
with the costs of maintaining these grand edifices. The nomination was
submitted by the project architect, Annabelle Radcliffe Trenner who
so eloquently summarizes: "We are submitting this project for an award
because the members of St. Peter's Episcopal Church have made enormous
efforts since early 2002 to restore this historic church. It is the
quantity and quality of work that is so astonishing for an inner city
church where repair and maintenance of buildings and the need for outreach
and support for the community are challenging to balance. The members
of St. Peter's have with great tenacity managed to complete two substantial
phases of exterior restoration work. They have demanded of the professional
team the highest of preservation standards with the determination to
achieve 100-year repairs wherever feasible. They have successfully obtained
two New Jersey Historic Trust capital grants, and they have planned
and successfully executed almost all of the recommendations prepared
in 1998 as part of the Preservation Plan."
Phase 1 of the
work, included new slate roofs, correcting the old repairs that had
been improperly executed, leading to more failure. Phase 2, included
the restoration of masonry, namely the brownstone foundation walls,
window trim and buttresses as well as the re-pointing and repair of
brick. Window restoration included venting of all the protective glazing
and restoration of several stained glass windows. A barrier free access
path into the church and an elevator in the Parish House were installed.
went to: Reverend Rodney Croes, Pastor; Meyer J. Pincelli; Cedric
Richardson; Reverend Kathleen DeJohn, Decon; David Adams, Past Senior
Warden; Jack Jankowski, Onsite Clerk of the Works; Barbara Jankowski;
Bruce Stephenson, Church Committee Chair; Annabelle Radcliffe-Trenner,
Susan Natale and Marjorie Haigler, Historic Buildings Architects; Richard
Olszewski, Princeton Engineering Group; James Biegen and Carlos Bonilla,
Maser Consulting, PA; Art Femenella and Patrick Baldoni, Femenella &
Associates (Stained glass conservator); Richard Hunter, Hunter Research
Associates; Richard Marks and Delwyn Williamson; Daedalus Projects,
Inc.(Cost estimators); Larry Plevy, Schtiller & Plevy, (Phase 1 contractors);
Kathy Jordan and Clay Jordan, Art of Glass; Screenivas Raman, Sasi Kumar
and Gary Donofrio, Integrated Construction Enterprises; and Elie Cherbaka,
Qualisafe Construction (Phase 2 contractors)
of the Phoenix House
County, Mendham Borough
The Phoenix House
has been a fixture of Main Street since the early 19th century. William
Phoenix purchased the Federal style building for us as an inn and added
the distinctive Greek Revival style porches in 1840. After his death,
his daughters ran the boarding house/resort until the earth 20th century
but subsequent owners let the property deteriorate until State Senator
Arthur Whitney and a group of 16 local residents purchased the building
and gave it to the borough. Retaining a painted portrait of Julia Phoenix,
the building was transformed into a municipal office building and remained
so for several decades. By 2001, the building was ready for substantial
of providing barrier free access, restoration of the substantial chimneys
and brick parapet walls, insertion of steel beams in the attic, new
roofing, and re-pointing. Several months into the construction the project
team was confronted with an emergency situation, when serious structural
problems were uncovered on the front porch, requiring enhanced efforts
to stabilize and restore the grand front porch. Porch roof beams were
replaced, new members installed, columns were repaired and the northwest
corner porch roof beam was replaced.
Now fully rehabilitated,
the Phoenix House is home for the Borough administration once again,
with first floor double parlor available for small group meetings. Like
the legendary bird, this building has been adapted over time for new
uses that have served the community. As so eloquently expressed in the
nomination for this award: "This successful restoration project reflects
the very best practices of preservation planning, professionalism and
commitment to excellence."
went to: Ralph E. Blakeslee, Borough Administrator; Paul Ferriero,
Borough Engineer; David V. Abramson, Architect; James B. Huffan, Structural
Engineer; Larry Plevy, Schtiller & Plevy
of the Owen Coachman House
May County, Lower Township
The Owen Coachman
House is a rare surviving example of a free black land owner's home
erected before the Civil War. The home significantly represents the
ante-bellum free black community that was established in Cape May County
in the first half of the 19th century. Although the house had survived
remarkably intact, when Dave and Christina Clemans purchased it in 2004,
it was in need of some work. The exterior clapboard was deteriorated
and had no backing to protect the structure's frame. There was no insulation,
the roof was covered with modern asphalt shingles, several sills and
corner posts in the rear kitchen addition were rotted beyond repair,
and Victorian-era alterations to the main block had obscured its colonial
and mid-19th century appearances. Because the house had been used only
as a summer resident for the past 45+ years, the electrical, plumbing
and HVAC systems were sub-code.
Siding was replaced
in kind. Where the kitchen wall abutted the rear wall, 1846 clapboard
remained and were preserved in situ. Roofing was restored to its 2'
long red cedar shingles. New wiring, plumbing and HVAC systems were
sensitively introduced, the HVAC system was located in the attic where
it serves small ports placed unobtrusively in the ceilings of the rooms.
Windows were replaced
with 6/6 double hung wood windows that match the size of the window
openings are historically appropriate; former window openings were re-opened.
Early 20th century doors on the front and rear of the house were replaced
with replicated board and batten doors.
walls, which date to cira 1846 in the main block and to cira 1850 in
the kitchen addition, remain in situ and have been covered with an acrylic
resin finish coat that simulates a plaster surface, while hiding irregularities.
Interior trim was restored.
This home restoration
project is of the highest quality, preserving an important part of the
State's architectural and African-American history by restoring the
house, rather than by tearing it down.
went to: Dave and Christina Clemens, Homeowners; Sea Grove Associates,
Contractor; Lewis Thomas, Carpenter & Foreman; George Lowry, Carpenter
& Electrician; Pete Leonard, Plumbing & Heating; Unique Indoor Comfort,
Heating and air conditioning; Chimney Savers; and Joan Berkey, Historic
County, Easthampton Township
award nomination was originally submitted for stabilization of Houses
6 & 7, part of the 312 acre Historic Smithville Park, and two of the
park's 20 historic buildings. However, the award committee felt strongly
that it should acknowledge the multi-year commitment on the part of
the Burlington County Freeholders to return this once thriving industrial
community into productive recreational use. The future of this site
really began in 1995 when Burlington County initiated its master plan.
The original recommendations for the Master Plan were to interpret the
site not the period when Hezekiah Smith operated the Smith Woodworking
Machinery Company. House 6 & 7, two of the largest houses and probably
the manager's houses, were recommended for stabilization.
was decided that the exterior's were to be interpreted and restored
to their period of significance 1865-1890 while the interior would be
adapted for use by the Division of Parks and Division of Cultural Affairs
and Tourism. Disassembly began and because of powder-post beetle infestation
and water infiltration, decay was extensive and a great deal of the
framing had to be replaced.
changes were made to the interior floor plans. All the original wood
doors, interior and exterior have been restored. New HVAC has been installed,
and the summer kitchen on House #6 has been renovated for an ADA toilet
room and small storage area. Burlington County Parks moved into their
new offices in October 2005. The restoration of these two houses is
a discrete project within the overall work program to restore the village,
but the dramatic difference they have made in restoring the village
streetscape cannot be understated. While there is still more work to
be done in revitalizing Smithville, their completion stands as a testament
to Burlington County's ongoing stewardship for this historic park.
went to: Burlington County Freeholders; Jeffrey Kerchner, Division
of Parks; Augustus Mosca, County Administrator; Jan Jeffries, Masonry
Preservation Group; Michael Holleman, Vitetta (Project architect)
Historian and Preservationist
year marks the 40th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation
Act. It has become a reason to take stock of our own preservation history
and it is within this context, that Mary Carolyn Pitts was honored for
her lifetime achievement in promoting, and advancing the cause of historic
preservation in New Jersey.
a time long ago, before there was a state historic preservation office….or
a state register of historic places, a time before state enabled local
preservation ordinances and commissions, a time before we knew how to
repair wood windows even….think about Cape May without tourists….the
Emlen Physick Estate in jeopardy, because unless you can imagine preservation
at its infancy, it would be impossible for you to truly understand how
significant Carolyn's efforts truly were and how her energy and vision
changed the face of preservation for everyone who came after her.
1923 to a Marine Corps family, Carolyn grew up in Chestnut Hill. She
studied at the Moore Institute of Art where she graduated in1947; earned
her Master of Fine Arts degree at the University of Pa in 1949. As a
scholar of American History, Carolyn was fascinated by Cape May. After
a devastating storm in 1962, she saw the town listing badly. State and
federal aid was made available due to the severity of damage, and the
planners working on new plans for the old town decided that an architectural
historian should help guide those plans. Bold and inventive measures
had to be taken by a handful of committed local preservationists, led
by Carolyn Pitts. Carolyn was a founding member of the Mid-Atlantic
Center for the Arts and helped by Bruce Minnix, first president of the
MAC and later Mayor of Cape May City, focused at first on preserving
the then jeopardized Emlyn Physick Estate.
City of Cape May was listed on the National Register in 1970. In the
1970's, there were also developer plans that would soon quickly destroy
many of the Victorian buildings that stood in the way of modern development
and many politicians at this time had no understanding of historic preservation
and planning. Carolyn made Cape May her special project.
Pitts fielded several teams of architectural students, historian/researchers,
and photographers funded by grants from the National Endowments, the
Barra and Atlantic Richfield Foundations. The National Park Service's
Historic American Building survey donated tools and materials to the
teams. Well over 100 drawings of Cape May's oldest most prominent and/or
endangered buildings were completed. HABS teams from DC were amazed
with the quality and quantity of work done by a revolving group of graduate
the years, Carolyn has remained ever vigilant in ensuring that Cape
May did not fall victim to…shall we say…a lack of preservation vision.
And while I'm sure she would tell you of the set backs, one has only
to visit the seaside resort on the southern tip of New Jersey, to experience
all for which we have Carolyn to thank. In his 1977 Surroundings article,
Philadelphia Inquirer's columnist, Thomas Hine wrote "there should be
a bronze statue of Carolyn Pitts erected on the front lawn of Cape May's
while she was nominated by the Cape May Historic Preservation Commission,
I want to point out that over the years, through her work in the National
Park Service, canvassing 32 years, Carolyn has been instrumental with
a number of Landmark designations in New Jersey. The Lawrenceville School,
Grace Church in Newark, Georgian Court College, Ballantine House and
the Burlington County Prison Museum, and Craftsman Farms all owe a debt
of gratitude to Carolyn Pitts for her shepherding their nominations
through the Landmark designation process.
nomination for this lifetime achievement award was whole-heartedly endorsed
by Roger Moss of the Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Barbara Beitel of Access
to Art, Elizabeth Anderson from the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Bruce
Minnix of Cape May, former Mayor during Carolyn's early tenure, and
Skip Loughlin, the current chair of Cape May Historic Preservation Commission.
Nurseries Kingston Site Acquisition
South Brunswick Township
final award was presented to the Princeton Nurseries Acquisition. Nominated
by the Delaware & Raritan Canal Corporation, this complex acquisition
embodies the word 'partnership'. Princeton Nurseries was established
in1911 by William Flemer, Sr., and by the time it relocated in 1995,
was the largest commercial plant nursery in the US. The 200 acre preserved
portion of the site is a scenic cultural landscape in the heart of increasingly
densely development Central NJ.
to the preservation concept was the utilization of changes in south
Brunswick's municipal zoning, which, while preserving the sensitive
historic, and natural areas, concentrated the commercial development
along Route 1.
Brunswick Township and the State of NJ committed to preserving the warehouses,
a green house, and the nursery offices. The Flemer's donated the sum
of $300,000 for the establishment of an endowment fund, dedicated toward
rehabilitation activities on the buildings themselves. And prior to
the state taking ownership, the nursery office was beautifully rehabilitated
and now serves as the new park office.
Nurseries placed façade easements on the worker housing, allowing the
buildings to be protected, but marketed for future residential development
in private ownership. Princeton University also placed easements on
property that was once part of the Nursery complex.
management entity was established consisting of representatives of the
State and Township to over see the planning and implementation for public
use and appreciation. And South Brunswick is co-sharing site management
with the DEP.
Acres provided the critical funding to permanently protect this significant
cultural landscape. And I need to elaborate a bit here. Renee Jones
and Fawn McGee are really to be recognized here this morning as two
Green Acres staff members who forged these partnerships for more than
four years, never letting go of the vision, no matter what new obstacle
presented itself. …Constantly re-negotiating until the pieces came together.
Although it is difficult to quantity the costs of this effort, more
than $2.5 M was paid by Green Acres. After four and one half years,
with its formal dedication taking place on January 19 2005.
went to: Honorable Frank Gambatese, Mayor, Donald Sears, Municipal
Attorney, and Mathew Watkins, Township Manager, South Brunswick Township;
Renee Jones and Fawn McGee, NJ DEP Green Acres Program; Princeton University;
William Flemer's Sons, Inc.; Joint Township Advisory Committee, Village
of Kingston; Friends of Princeton Nursery; Kingston Greenways Association;
Kingston Historical Society; Jim Amon, former D & R Canal Director;
David Knights; Shirley Tilghman; Robert Wolfe; William Flemer, III;
Ivan Olinsky; John Woodward; Charles Dieterich; Karen Linder; Corrington
S. Wong; Anne Zeman; and Robert von Zumbusch.