Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions


  • Overview
  • Freshwater Wetlands
  • Flood Hazard
  • Coastal
  • Tidelands

Bridges constructed for the purpose of extending roads over otherwise impassible watercourses have been installed statewide since colonial times.  Bridge construction, repair and/or reconstruction may result in disturbances to “special areas” regulated by the Department and may require multiple permits from the Division of Land Use Regulation prior to site preparation or construction. The presence or absence of special areas can be rudimentarily determined using the Department’s online mapping service, NJ-GeoWeb.  Special areas within your project site may also affect the type of authorization required.  Therefore, it is important to closely examine a proposed project relative to the sensitive areas which may be impacted. 

The above tabs provide additional information on permit requirements relating to bridge projects.  For impacts to streams, rivers, lakes, ponds, flood plains, flood ways, riparian zones, please see the "Flood Hazard" tab. For impacts to special coastal areas, please see the "Coastal" tab. For impacts to Freshwater Wetlands, see the "Freshwater Wetlands" tab.  Information on Tidelands can be found by selecting the "Tidelands" tab.

The construction of a bridge within freshwater wetlands, transition areas, and/or State open waters requires a Freshwater Wetlands (FWW) permit. Two FWW General Permits (GPs) are available for this activity, a GP10A and a GP10B.

General Permit 10A -- Very minor road crossings is for bridges that comply with one of the two scenarios listed below:

  1. The "Short Crossing Scenario" requires that the disturbance of freshwater wetlands and/or State open waters is no longer than 100 feet for each crossing and the total cumulative disturbance of freshwater wetlands, transition area, and State open waters is one quarter acre or less.
  2. The "Long Crossing Scenario" has no crossing length requirement, but instead requires that the total cumulative disturbance of freshwater wetlands, transition area, and State open waters is one eighth acre or less.

General Permit 10B -- Minor road crossings is for bridges that exceed the GP10A requirements, but which have less than one quarter acre of disturbance to freshwater wetlands, transition areas, and/or State open waters.

If the bridge cannot comply with the criteria for a GP10A or a GP10B, the applicant would need to apply for an (Individual Permit (IP)). An IP application would need to include a description as to why the project cannot be minimized to satisfy the General Permit criteria described in the links above.

There are no Permit by Rules (PBR’s) associated with bridges.  However, there are two potential qualifying general permits for bridges.  General Permit No. 2C allows for the crossing of water for agricultural purposes.  General Permit No. 9 allows for the crossing of water that drains less than 50 acres.  All other bridges must apply for a Flood Hazard Area Individual Permit.

Generally, bridge construction repair, and/or reconstruction within coastal areas requires a permit.  The “Jurisdiction” tab of the "Coastal Areas" webpage can help you determine which areas of your site may be regulated.  The availability of certain permits depends on the project’s location.  Per the Coastal Zone Management rules at N.J.A.C. 7:7, bridges are conditionally acceptable, provided:

  • There is a demonstrated need that cannot be satisfied by existing facilities;
  • Pedestrian and bicycle use is provided for unless it is demonstrated to be inappropriate; and
  • Fishing catwalks and platforms are provided to the maximum extent practicable. Please note, this shall be taken into consideration during the design phase of all proposed bridge projects.

There are no Permits-by-rule, General Permits-by-Certification, or General Permits available for bridge projects.  However, the below exemption may apply.  If the proposed project does not qualify for the exemption, a CAFRA, Coastal Wetlands and/or Waterfront Development Individual Permit may be required. 

Potentially applicable Exemption:

Per N.J.A.C. 7:7-2.4(d)9, the redecking and replacement of bridge surfaces is exempt within Waterfront Development jurisdiction is provided there is no change in the bridge’s length, width, or height.  

Please contact the Division’s Technical Support Center at (609) 777-0454 should you require further assistance.

Tidelands, also known as riparian lands, are all those lands now or formerly flowed by the mean high tide of a natural waterway; that is to say any land that is currently or was previously covered by tidal waters.  The State of New Jersey, and therefore the people of New Jersey, owns all Tidelands except for those to which it has already sold its interest in the form of a riparian grant.  It is important to note that the State generally does not own artificial waterways such as lagoons however, the State does claim those lands within a lagoon that were flowed by the mean high tide of a natural waterway which existed prior to the creation of the lagoon.

The construction of a new bridge or the reconstruction/expansion of an existing bridge that is proposed in a tidelands area may require a tidelands license if the activities are taking place at or below the mean high water line of a tidal waterway and/or a tidelands grant if the activities are taking place in an area that is currently landward of the mean high water line but was, at some point, flowed by the tide.

A tidelands license is a short term revocable rental document to use tidelands generally for structures such as docks, bulkhead extensions, mooring piles, and other temporary structures as well as for dredging projects. Licenses are project specific and expire after a finite term ranging from one to ten years. Most licenses may be renewed.

A riparian grant, or tidelands grant, is a deed from the State of New Jersey selling its tidelands. Tidelands grants are generally only issued for lands that have already been filled in and are no longer flowed by the tide.

For more information on tidelands instruments, please see the tidelands section of this website.

For information and instruction on how to determine whether you are in an area that may require either a license or a grant, or for information how to apply for Tideland instruments please see the "Before you Build, Before you Buy" webpage.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2016
Last Updated: January 4, 2016