Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

COASTAL GENERAL PERMIT 33 – Dredging of material from a waterway at a residential or commercial development deposited as a result of the failure of a bulkhead as a consequence of a storm event declared a State of Emergency

The Coastal General Permit 33 authorizes dredging of material released into the waterway as a result of a storm event which the Governor declared a State of Emergency.  The particulars of this general permit include:   

  • A complete application for this general permit must be received by the Department no later than 24 months after the date the Governor declared a State of Emergency.
  • The volume of  material to be dredged is limited to that which resulted from the failure of the bulkhead.
  • The area to be dredged is limited to that where the material was deposited as a result of the failure of the bulkhead.
  • The dredged material is placed on an upland portion of the lot, dewatered as necessary within a temporary dewatering area, and capped with a six-inch layer of clean fill and stabilized.
  • A 25-foot buffer shall be provided from any wetlands to the nearest edge of the area to be dredged.
  • Any debris contained within the dredged sand shall be removed and disposed of properly.

You can read the full details in the rule at N.J.A.C.7:7-7.33.

If your project does not meet the requirements or limitations of Coastal General Permit 33, it may qualify for a permit-by-rule, other general permit, or a Waterfront Development Individual Permit.  Please review those tabs under Coastal Permitting for additional information.


bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2015
Last Updated: February 9, 2015