Historic Preservation Office Names Four Significant Sites
to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places
Two Notable Sites
in African American History
(04/09) TRENTON - Promoting
awareness and appreciation of the historical accomplishments
of African Americans in New Jersey, Department of Environmental
Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell today
announced the listing of Community Hospital in the city
of Newark and Hinchliffe Stadium in the city of Paterson
to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
"Listing these sites, which represent
milestones for New Jersey's African American community,
ensure that their contributions to American history continue
to be recognized not only now but for years to come,"
said Commissioner Campbell. "It is especially important
for all people to understand and recognize the historical
significance of both of these sites."
Community Hospital, now known as the New
Salem Baptist Church, was founded in Newark in 1927 as the
first hospital in the State of New Jersey built exclusively
for the training of African American doctors and nurses
at a time when segregation prevented their admission to
other health facilities.
Community Hospital was founded by Dr. John
A. Kenney, personal physician to Booker T. Washington and
George W. Carver, and provided a facility in which African-American
doctors could treat patients and develop professional techniques.
"Black history is all of our history,"
said Secretary of State Regena Thomas. "When we share
our respective stories as a people we foster a greater understanding
for all people. By adding these sites to the New Jersey
Register of Historic Places, we are ensuring that New Jersey's
rich and diverse history is preserved for future generations
Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson is one of
two surviving major athletic stadiums in New Jersey that
predate WWII, and for a number of years was the regular
home field of the New York Black Yankees, a Negro League
baseball team. Hinchliffe is one of the only surviving regular
home fields of a Negro League team in the mid-Atlantic region.
The stadium not only served the Paterson
public schools, but also hosted minor league and semi-pro
baseball and football games, track and field meets, boxing
events and performances by touring entertainers. The stadium
was constructed in 1931-32 in view of the Passaic River
and the Great Falls.
The State Register of Historic Places is
a list of properties and areas worthy of preservation for
their historical, architectural, cultural or archaeological
significance. New Jersey Register law requires review of
any state, county or municipal undertaking that involves
properties listed in the New Jersey Register. These reviews
are designed to prevent destruction or damage of historic
resources by public agencies.
Commissioner Campbell also announced the
listing of Buzby's General Store in Woodland Township, Burlington
County and the Chateau Bleu Motel in North Wildwood, Cape
May County to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
Buzby's General Store, also known as the
Chatsworth General Store, is a white cedar frame, two-story
building built around 1865. The store has a long association
with commerce and social life in the New Jersey Pinelands.
Due to its isolation, the store served as a lifeline to
many Pineland residents by providing groceries, hunting
supplies, kerosene, animal feed, fabric, sewing items and
clothing. Owned by the Buzby family for nearly 70 years,
the store also functioned as a venue for public gatherings
and social events in the area.
The Chateau Bleu Motel was constructed
in 1962 and is significant for its architecture and the
role it played in the development of North Wildwood as a
popular shore resort.
The Chateau Bleu is a flat-roofed, two-story,
L-shaped motel common to the Wildwoods. A port-cochere,
with a curved concrete canopy supported by wishbone shaped
columns, is attached to the office and decorative metal
railings line the cantilevered balcony. A unique feature
to this motel is the heart-shaped pool located in the central
space formed by the L of the guestrooms.
Commissioner Campbell will also recommend
that the properties be placed on the National Register of
Historic Places, administered by the National Park Service.