DEP's State Historic
Preservation Office Names Three New Sites to the New Jersey
Register of Historic Places
(04/70) TRENTON -- New Jersey Department
of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bradley M.
Campbell today announced the addition of three historic
sites in Bergen, Passaic and Middlesex counties to the New
Jersey Register of Historic Places.
"These sites have long been locally recognized for
their historic significance. Listing them to the State Register
will afford them an elevated level of protection, prestige
and recognition vital to the community and to the state,"
said Commissioner Campbell.
The State Register of Historic Places is a list of properties
and areas worthy of preservation for their historical, architectural,
cultural or archeological significance. New Jersey Register
law requires review of any state, county or municipal undertaking
that involves properties listed in the New Jersey Register.
These reviews are designed to prevent destruction or damage
of historic resources by public agencies.
Campbell will also recommend that the properties be placed
on the National Register of Historic Places, administered
by the National Park Service. National Register listing
offers a measure of protection from federally sponsored
or assisted undertakings that could result in destruction
Additions to the New Jersey State Register of Historic
Eastside Park Historic District, Paterson, Passaic
The Eastside Park Historic District is an architecturally
and historically significant development spanning from 1890-1950.
This large district is almost exclusively a residential
neighborhood, consisting of 59 residential blocks, a 66-acre
park and three small triangular parks.
The district consists of an extremely diverse and representative
mix of development that includes not only mansions, but
also working-class houses. The district is significant for
its period revival architecture and the community planning
and development of the neighborhood.
This district is also noteworthy for its landscape architecture.
John Yapp Culyer, the assistant engineer of Central Park
and Prospect Park, initially designed the district as a
Careful stewardship of the homes and parks has created
a stable community of residents in a district that has retained
a good degree of integrity.
Demarest Railroad Depot, Demarest Borough, Bergen
The Demarest Railroad Depot, constructed in 1872, is well
known for its Romanesque Revival architecture, reflected
in the rough-cut brownstone with decorative detailing. The
most notable portion of the depot is the portico with a
flared hip roof, belfry and steeple.
The depot is significant for its association with the region's
change from a self-sufficient rural community to one that
was open to broader markets, which coincides with the introduction
of rail service. The construction of this station was directly
influenced by the change in rail service from freight transportation
to expanded passenger service.
Livingston Manor Historic District, Highland Park
Livingston Manor is a residential neighborhood, established
primarily between 1906 and 1925. The district is an excellent
example of early 20th century planned, private, suburban
development. It is historically significant in its architectural
and communal design and development.
The neighborhood has many examples of vernacular Queen
Anne houses, Bungalows and Colonial Revival houses, built
for a range of working and middle class homebuyers. Even
with the variety of architectural style, the houses in the
Livingston Manor District remain distinct with the use of
specific building plans that cannot be found anywhere else
in Highland Park.
Watson Whittlesey, often referred to as the "Lord
of the Manor," was the key player in the development
of the district. He purchased the Livingston homestead and
created the housing development. Whittlesey worked to not
only build a development of houses, but to build a community
as well. He was actively involved in community affairs at
the municipal level, he provided playgrounds for the children,
receptions for the residents, and constructed a clubhouse
and athletic fields to promote healthful living.
This district has been significantly recognized locally.
The local town credits the advance of the borough's development
to the early success of Livingston Manor.