Office of Permit Coordination and Environmental Review
401 East State St.
Mail code: 401-07J
P.O. Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625
The Permit Extension Act law for Superstorm Sandy-impacted counties (P.L. 2016, c. 14) does not extend approvals within “environmentally sensitive areas” except under certain limited circumstances. Using the provisions of the law, DEP has listed Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data layers that can be overlain to show the extent of these Environmentally Sensitive Areas. The information provided by these data layers should be considered advisory guidance to determining whether a permit or approval is within an Environmentally Sensitive Area.
Permits and approvals are not extended in the following Environmentally Sensitive Areas unless they are in a designated center or designated growth center in an endorsed plan. Please refer to the GeoWeb layers below as guidance, but note that not all Extension Areas (designated centers or designated growth centers) may be included or current in GeoWeb at any time, as various factors affect these boundaries over time. Please consult with the applicable municipality and/or agencies responsible for the data to confirm any applicability determination as provided by the links below.
are listed in the lawand include, but are not limited to:
- State Planning Areas PA1, 2, 3, 4A, 5B
- State Plan Designated Centers, Cores, Nodes (GeoWeb mapping under construction)
- Areas in Need of Redevelopment (GeoWeb mapping under construction)
- Urban Enterprise Zones
- Pinelands Regional Growth Areas, Villages, or Towns
- Highlands Planning Area and Centers (GeoWeb mapping under construction)
- Meadowlands Smart Growth and Planning Area designated in a master plan (GeoWeb mapping under construction)
are listed in the law and include, but are not limited to:
The following Pinelands Management Areas within the State Pinelands Boundary:
- Agricultural Production Area
- Federal or Military Facility
- Forest Area
- Preservation Area
- Rural Development Area
- Special AG Production Area
The following areas in the Highlands Region:
- Highlands Preservation Area
The following State Planning Areas:
- Environmentally Sensitive (Planning Area 5)
- Rural/Environmentally Sensitive (Planning Area 4B)
The following Critical Environmental and Historic Sites:
- Environmental/Historic Site
- Environmental Site
For questions regarding data, please contact the following agencies that manage this data:
This advisory guidance is non-binding. Any interested party or permit holder should not in any way rely to any extent on the advisory guidance provided herein. This advisory guidance should not be construed as legal advice.