MQSA Personnel Requirements
Interpreting Physician initial requirements are:
- Must be State licensed to practice medicine; and
- Must be certified by the the American Board of Radiology (ABR), the American Osteopathic Board of Radiology (AOBR), or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) in diagnostic radiology; or have 3 months of documented formal training in interpreting mammograms; and
- Must have 60 hours of documented medical education in mammography.
Radiologic Technologist initial requirements are:
Medical Physicist initial requirements are:
- Must be certified by the state; and
- Must have a master's degree or higher in a physical science from an accredited institution, including at least 20 semester hours or equivalent of college undergraduate or graduate-level physics; and
- Must have 20 hours of documented specialized training in conducting surveys of mammography facilities; and
- Must have the experience of conducting surveys of at least one mammography facility and a total of at least 10 mammography units.
NOTE:Medical physicists must meet the qualifications for a qualified medical physicist for the supervision of quality assurance programs for diagnostic x-ray equipment (N.J.A.C. 15.2). To obtain a list of qualified medical physicists who meet New Jersey requirements, please click here.
NOTE:The personnel requirements listed above are initial requirements ONLY. All qualified mammography personnel must comply with continuing education and experience requirements. All mammography personnel qualifications are evaluated during the facility's annual inspection. If you have questions concerning personnel qualifications, please call our office.