Purpose, Goals and Responsibilities
The Environmental Education Program, housed within DEP's Office of Communications, supports the purpose of environmental education that is supported by the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Environmental Education Advisory Council. It is as follows:
Environmental education (EE) is a learning process that increases people's knowledge and awareness about the environment and associated challenges, develops the necessary skills and expertise to address these challenges, and fosters attitudes, motivations, and commitments to make informed decisions and take responsible action.
The DEP Environmental Education Program also pursues the following EE goals in striving to have citizens of all ages gain the ability to:
- Comprehend complex environmental topics, data and information;
- Comprehensively research an environmental issue or topic;
- Utilize environmental data in meaningful ways;
- Adopt behaviors, practices and skills that help maintain the integrity of the environment and sustainability in New Jersey; and
- Enjoy the environment and pursue active involvement with it.