Delaware • New Jersey • Pennsylvania
New York • United States of America
Please Note: Resolution 2006-3, adopted on March 1, 2006, modified the committee's membership
A RESOLUTION to establish a Flood Advisory Committee.
WHEREAS, flooding continues to cause loss of life and economic damage in the Delaware River Basin and will continue to do so as long as people continue to live, work and travel in the Basin's flood plains; and
WHEREAS, annual economic losses due to flooding are estimated at $4.5 billion nationally and $35 million within the Delaware River Basin and losses from single flood events can exceed hundreds of millions of dollars; and
WHEREAS, flood plain management, flood forecasting and warning, storm water management, flood response, flood control, education, and public outreach are all elements which contribute to flood loss reduction; and
WHEREAS, numerous organizations within the Delaware River Basin share flood loss reduction responsibilities; and
WHEREAS, a Flood Advisory Committee can provide a forum for coordination of activities and promote efficient use of technical and financial resources for the benefit of the Delaware River Basin Community.
BE IT RESOLVED by the Delaware River Basin Commission:
1. A Flood Advisory Committee is hereby created to include one member from each of the following:
- Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- New York Department of Environmental Conservation
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection
- Delaware Emergency Management Agency
- New Jersey Office of Emergency Management
- New York Office of Emergency Management
- Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- National Weather Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- National Park Service
- Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
- Hydroelectric Industry
- County Water Resources Agencies
2. The Executive Director will appoint each member based upon recommendations of the Commission.
3. This committee will focus on the efficient use of technical expertise and financial resources dedicated to flood loss reduction in the Delaware River Basin.
4. The committee will recommend strategies and programs for improving flood warning and response within the basin, including public outreach activities.
5. The committee may recommend additional strategies and programs to improve flood loss reduction in the basin.
6. The committee will forward its recommendations to the Commission for submission to organizations with flood preparedness and flood loss reduction responsibilities in the basin.
7. The committee will select its own chairperson and establish its operating procedures.
This resolution shall take effect immediately.
|/s/ Warren T. Lavery
Warren T. Lavery, Chairman pro tem
/s/ Pamela M. Bush
ADOPTED: March 7, 2000