Delaware • New Jersey • Pennsylvania
New York • United States of America
The Delaware River Basin Interstate Flood Mitigation Task Force issued a report in July 2007 identifying recommendations for a proactive, sustainable and systematic approach to flood damage reduction. One of the six priority management areas identified by the Task Force was floodplain regulations.
In May 2008, Commissioners from New Jersey and Pennsylvania requested that that a subcommittee of the DRBC Flood Advisory Committee (FAC) be formed to address Task Force Recommendation FR-1: Catalog, Evaluate and Update Existing Floodplain Regulations in the Basin.
The Floodplain Regulations Evaluation Subcommittee (FRES) of the FAC was formed in November 2008 to review and evaluate the similarities and differences in floodplain regulations throughout the Delaware River Basin and to develop and present recommendations on the potential for more effective floodplain management throughout the basin. The Floodplain Regulations Evaluation Subcommittee delivered its report to the DRBC Flood Advisory Committee on May 19, 2009. The report reviews and evaluates existing floodplain regulations throughout the Delaware River Basin and presents recommendations for more effective floodplain management to the FAC. The release of the report and its presentation to the FAC do not implement nor recommend a means of implementing new land use regulations.
Following a review of the FRES report, FAC members met on August 26, 2009 to discuss the subcommittee's recommendations. Following deliberation and some modification, the FAC presented its findings and recommendations for more effective floodplain regulations to the DRBC Commissioners and public on October 22, 2009.
Should the Commission decide to move forward with any of the recommendations, a full rulemaking process will be conducted with public notice and opportunities for public comment.
- Letter to DRBC Commissioners from John Moyle, FAC Chair (pdf 175 KB)
- Summary of 12 Recommendations and Options for Implementation (pdf 68 KB)
- Report - Recommendations of the Flood Advisory Committee (pdf 330 KB)
- Appendix 1 - Floodplain Regulations Matrix (pdf 25 KB)
- Appendix 2 - FRES Representatives and Meeting Agendas (pdf 35 KB)
- Appendix 3 - Correspondence: Letters Submitted to the FAC from May - October 2009 (pdf 4.5 MB)
- View Full Report (Recommendations of the Flood Advisory Committee and Appendices) (pdf 5 MB)
- View FRES Recommendations Report submitted to the FAC (pdf 437 KB; May 2009)
- Association of State Floodplain Managers, 2003: Effective State Floodplain Management Programs (pdf 797 KB)
- Association of State Floodplain Managers: National Flood Programs and Policies in Review
- Association of State Floodplain Managers: No Adverse Impact
- Delaware River Basin Interstate Flood Mitigation Task Force Action Agenda, July 2007 (pdf 6.7 MB)
- Delaware River Basin Map Gallery
- Riverine Erosion Hazard Areas Mapping Feasibility Study - FEMA, 1999