Educator Evaluation in New Jersey
New: Notice of Grant Opportunities: Achievement Coaches
On October 21, the Department posted a press release announcing two new grant opportunities. The goal of the New Jersey Achievement Coaches program is to empower a large number of our outstanding educators to provide direct support to their peers through high quality training and resources. The content of this training will be developed by our districts through the second grant opportunity: the New Jersey Achievement Coaches Content Development Program. Funding for these programs is intended to cover educators' work, time, and travel expenses as well as district management of these activities, including funding for sub coverage as needed. Please review this information and encourage your district leaders to apply.
- See the Achievement Coaches program overview for more information.
- Access the Notice of Grant Opportunity (NGO) descriptions and applications here:
2014-15 Weight Changes
Due to ongoing conversations with educators and other stakeholders, we have proposed changes to the weights of teacher and principal evaluation components for 2014-15 as described below:
- Teacher Evaluations
- Non-SGP teachers; 80% teacher practice, 20% SGO
- SGP teachers: 70% teacher practice, 20% SGO, 10% mSGP
- Principal/AP/VP Evaluations
- Non-SGP principals; 30% principal practice, 20% evaluation leadership, 40% administrator goals, 10% SGO average
- SGP principals: 30% principal practice, 20% evaluation leadership, 30% administrator goals, 10% SGO average, 10% schoolwide SGP
For a detailed description of these proposed changes, please see this August 12 Broadcast Memo as well as all of the updated materials on this website. Please note that due to the weights, scoring resources for 2013-14 and 2014-15 are listed separately.
NOTE: All 8th-grade math teachers must set 2 SGOs in 2014-15. For more information, please see the September 30 Broadcast Memo.
- Syllabus for Success: Monthly activities to promote evaluation leadership
(Word | PDF)
- Starting Stronger: 5 Ways to Improve Educator Evaluation in 2014-15
- Student Growth Objective (SGO) Resources for 2014-15
- Catalog of AchieveNJ Resources
- AchieveNJ Update (9-16-14)
- Prior to Evaluation Observations: All supervisors must be trained on district practice instrument
- October 1: All district staff must be notified of evaluation rubric
- Each School Year: All teaching staff members must be trained on all elements of the evaluation rubric