Curriculum and Instruction
Professional Development Opportunities
- American Museum of Natural History Seminars on Science
These six-week courses developed by Museum scientists and educators incorporate the Museum's rich resources including three-dimensional virtual specimens, videos from the field, and interactive simulations. Teachers participate in discussions and activities with the Museum's scientists and educators. Continuing education units and graduate credits are available.
- Earthwatch Institute Summer Fellowships - Get out of the classroom and head into the field to learn about cutting edge research and conservation efforts, to develop professional skills, and to make a difference for our shared environment! As a summer educator fellow, you'll spend 1-2 weeks of your summer recess on an Earthwatch expedition alongside a diverse team of volunteers led by prominent field researchers. After your expedition, you'll bring the world back into your classroom and to your students as you've never done before. Learn more about our Summer Fellowship program.
- Mississippi State University offers M.S. programs through distance learning – the Teachers in Geosciences Program.
- Montana State University - Bozeman
Educators can access electronic teacher resources, discuss issues with other educators online, and participate in high-quality graduate courses all from convenient home or work locations via the Internet. An average of 15 online graduate level science and science education courses are available each semester. NTEN courses are designed to help teachers improve and enhance their understanding of science content. Courses can be taken for professional development or as part of a graduate degree program
- New Jersey Audubon Society Place-Based Professional Development
New Jersey Audubon Society (NJAS) offers place-based professional development for school districts using ecosystem education as the focal point for teaching science standards. NJAS is the oldest and largest non-profit conservation organization in the state. It has nine education centers throughout the state and a professional staff of teacher / naturalists to provide background and resources on New Jersey’s habitats and environmental issues. Contact the education department for more information.
- NSTA Web Seminars Free, interactive, live, online, 90-minute sessions of professional development featuring NASA and NOAA scientists and education experts, as well as authors in association with NSTA Press.
- University of Massachusetts Extension Nutrition Education Program
The University of Massachusetts Extension Nutrition Education Program is launching Food Safety FIRST, a new online professional development program designed to help middle and high school teachers use inquiry-based learning, increase laboratory skills, share food science and food safety ideas with peers worldwide, develop meaningful student projects that meet NSES, and integrate food microbiology and food science into classroom activities. CEUs and graduate credits are available.