New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards
U.S. SENATE YOUTH PROGRAM
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE APPLICATION PERIOD HAS ENDED THEREFORE APPLICATIONS WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED. DELEGATES AND ALTERNATES WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN DECEMBER.
2014-2015 United States Senate Youth Program
The candidate must be:
- A permanent resident of the United States;
- A resident of New Jersey;
- Currently enrolled in the 11th or 12th grade in a public or nonpublic high school in New Jersey; and
- Currently serving (through at least March 2015) in an elected or appointed capacity in a student government, civic or educational organization, such as:
- Student body president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer;
- Class president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer;
- Student council representative, or;
- Student representative to an elected or appointed district, regional, or state-level civic or educational organization (e.g., elected officer of National Honor Society, Key Club, Interact, Junior State of America, appointed student representative to Board of Education).
(Please note that students selected as delegates to the program in past years are not eligible to participate in this year's program.)
Criteria for Selection
The Hearst Foundation seeks candidates that show:
- Outstanding leadership ability;
- High scholastic standing;
- Effective communication skills;
- Interest in America's political processes; and
- Strong commitment to community involvement and public service.