Strategies for Sustainability and Guiding Principles for Even Start Family Literacy ProgramsStrategies for Sustainability
- Maintain a sufficient staff/participant ratio in order to achieve the goals and objectives of the program;
- Provide instruction based on participants needs, goals, and interests;
- Provide thematic instruction that links components;
- Promote staff awareness and knowledge of each others roles and responsibilities in the program;
- Provide continuous staff cross-training and professional development;
- Develop a program design which supports a holistic approach to family literacy, without isolating the individual;
- Implement program activities that foster the recruitment and retention of low-income families;
- Develop personal and family goals into a contract of learning that includes benchmarks for success; and
- Employ a full-time person to oversee grant-related activities.
Figure A Strategies for Sustainability
The strategies for program sustainability, guiding principles, and indicators of program quality are the three elements that comprise the foundation of an Even Start Program (see Figure A). Collectively, they guide programs in daily operations, help to build systems that will lead to sustainability, and facilitate the measurement of program effectiveness.