On February 4, 2015, the Department proposed updates to certification regulations as part of a comprehensive initiative to support teachers entering the profession. To submit comments, please email Chapter9b@doe.state.nj.us. For more information, see the following resources:
- Presentation on All Proposed Changes to the State Board of Education (2/4/15)
- Proposed Changes to Certification Requirements
- Proposed Changes to Early Childhood Endorsement Requirements
- Proposed Changes to English as a Second Language - Bilingual Endorsement Requirements
- Proposed Changes to Teachers of Students with Disabilities Endorsement Requirements
- Proposed Changes to Substitute Requirements
- Educator Preparation web page
- Mentoring web page
Effective July 7, 2014, regulations regarding GPA requirements, flexibility rules, and basic skills tests changed. The changes are as follows:
GPA Requirements (see this Overview of GPA Requirements for full details):
- Students graduating after September 1, 2016 will need to achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.
- Students graduating prior to September 1, 2016 require a minimum GPA of 2.75. Note that New Jersey preparation programs are free to exceed this minimum, and that most do so.
- An eligible candidate may have a GPA lower than 3.00 and higher than 2.75 if they are sponsored by an Alternate Route Training Program.
- If an applicant has below a 2.75 GPA and above a 2.50, he or she can apply for flex rule with higher praxis test scores.
- If an applicant has 3.5 GPA or higher, he or she can use flex rule for lower praxis test scores unless otherwise precluded by their educator preparation program. Note that most New Jersey preparation programs do not allow this flexibility.
Additional Testing effective September 1, 2015:
All candidates must pass a Commissioner-approved test of basic skills, or score in the top one-third percentile on the SAT, ACT, or GRE for the year the test was taken. The top one-third percentile score for each test, for each year the data is available is posted to the Department's website at http://www.nj.gov/education/educators/rpr/preparation/BasicSkillsExemptionCutScores.pdf
To view the Training Workshop Presentations in regard to these changes, please click here.
- Our office provides transcript evaluations to determine if your coursework meets certification requirements for a $70.00 evaluation fee.
- Please click here for the procedures to obtain a transcript evaluation.