I am an NJ or out-of-state educator applying for a Principal Certificate of Eligibility
Step 1. Please read certification requirements
Certification Requirements: Degree-
- A master's or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university in educational leadership, or in curriculum and instruction, or in one of the recognized fields of leadership or management;
- A master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and complete a post-master's program resulting in a certificate of advanced study in educational administration and supervision;
- A master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and complete a post-master's program in a coherent sequence of 30 semester hour credits. The study must be completed at one institution in the fields outlined above
- A master's degree from an NCATE or TEAC approved program in educational leadership from an out-of-State college or university;All credits/degree(s) must appear on a regionally accredited 4-year college.
Required Graduate Study:
A minimum of 30 graduate credits, either within the master's program or in addition to it, in the following quality components of preparation to promote student learning as set forth in N.J.A.C. 6A:9-3.4(a)1-6, the Professional Standards for School Leaders. These areas include:
- Leading a common vision of learning in the school community;
- Leading a climate and culture conducive to student learning and staff professional growth;
- Leading a safe and effective environment for learning;
- Leading the mobilization of resources, response to diverse needs, and collaboration with families and communities;
- Leading with integrity and fairness; and
- Leading with a perspective of the larger political, social, economic and legal context
Required Graduate Study:
If you have completed a program in an area other than Educational Leadership, you must send both official college catalog course descriptions for review AND an original letter from the Department Chairperson at the college or university outlining the course or courses in which the areas above are included. All graduate credits must appear on a regionally accredited 4-year college/university transcript.
Complete a 300-hour internship in educational leadership independent of other course requirements. PLEASE NOTE: You must submit an original letter from the Educational Leadership Department Chairperson from the university where your program was completed detailing the hours and assignment of your Internship experience as part of your application for this endorsement.
Praxis Test Requirement:
Please contact ETS to register for the School Superintendents Assessment (SSA,#11011).
Please send in a copy of a valid provisional or standard New Jersey or equivalent out-of-state instructional, educational or administrative certificate.
You must provide documentation evidencing completion of five years of successful educational experience under a valid provisional or standard New Jersey or equivalent out-of-state certificate. Please send in an original letter from a school official that includes information about full or part-time status, specific assignments, and dates of employment.
Step 2. Apply Online:
Please apply online at NJ Department of Education for certification through TCIS and pay the fee at https://www20.state.nj.us/DOE_TCIS_ONLINEED//login.jsp
Step 3. Applicant Checklist
After applying online, please submit ALL necessary documentation together IN A SINGLE PACKET to the NJ DOE in order to complete your application. Please submit the following documents: either US citizen Oath of Allegiance (or Non-US Citizen Oath of Allegiance and Non-Citizen Affidavit of Intent to Become a Citizen) , official sealed transcripts, out-of-state teaching certificate (if applicable) and letter of teaching or educational services experience.
Please click the link below for specific certification requirements.
Please click the link below to apply online.