Please read the following overview before going to our specific requirements page.
If you don’t need the overview, click here for a listing of all the areas for Teacher certification and their specific requirements.
What types of certificates are available?
- CE - The Certificate of Eligibility (CE) is a credential with lifetime validity issued to an individual who has NOT completed a teacher preparation program, but who has met the basic requirements for certification including academic study and applicable test requirements. The CE authorizes an individual to seek and accept employment in NJ public schools requiring certification.
- CEAS - The Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) is a credential issued to an individual who HAS completed a teacher preparation program and has met the basic requirements for certification including academic study and applicable test requirements. The CEAS authorizes an individual to seek and accept employment in NJ public schools requiring certification. The CEAS is issued to an individual who does NOT hold a NJ Standard certificate or has NOT completed one year of full-time teaching under a valid out-of-state instructional certificate.
- Provisional - This two-year certificate is requested by the employing school district for a newly hired teacher after an individual obtains a CE or CEAS and a full-time teaching position. This certificate legalizes employment. Both mentoring and supervision and evaluation are required under this certificate. Alternate route teachers will also be required to complete formal instruction. Please visit the Provisional Teacher Program (PTP) page for more details. Note that an individual cannot apply for this certificate. Rather, it is the employing district that applies for this certificate on behalf of the applicant.
- Standard – This is a permanent certificate issued to an individual who has met all requirements for state certification. This certificate is issued to an individual who has successfully completed the PTP program, holds a previously issued NJ instructional certificate, or holds a valid out-of-state instructional certificate with one year of full-time teaching experience under the certificate.
- Non-Citizen Standard - A five-year certificate issued to an individual who has met all requirements for state certification, but is not a US citizen. This certificate can be renewed by showing progress toward US citizenship. Copies of official documentation from the INS would be required for an additional renewal.
- Name Change –You may request a name change in our database by applying for a name change on line and submitting a $20.00 fee. Also complete the Name Change Request form and submit it to the Office of Certification and Induction. Multiple forms of identification will be required. Incomplete forms will be returned.
- County Substitute - Contact county offices for more details. The substitute credential is intended only for a person acting temporarily in replacement of a fully certified and regularly employed classroom teacher when the supply of properly certified teachers is inadequate to staff the school.
Now that you know the types of certificates available, click here
for a listing of all the subject areas for teacher certification.
Still have questions? Visit our FAQ page.
Please print this page for your records.