Educator Recruitment, Preparation, and Recognition
The New Jersey Department of Education recognizes the outstanding contributions of teachers and leaders in a variety of ways. Please view the following links for more information on state and national recognition programs:
- Governor's Teacher Recognition/Educational Services Professionals Program: These awards acknowledge teachers and those who hold educational services professional certificates who exhibit outstanding performance,
- Milken Family Foundation National Educator Awards: This program provides national recognition, a $25,000 unrestricted financial award, and the opportunity to participate in ongoing professional development at an annual Milken conference, yearly state conferences, and through state networks of educators,
- New Jersey Distinguished Student Teacher Awards: Since 1985, the presidents of New Jersey's teacher training institutions have been invited to submit the dossiers of their three most outstanding prospective teachers into competition for this annual award, which publicly recognizes the 15 top graduates of teacher education programs.
- New Jersey National Board Certification: Teachers may participate in this voluntary system of certification according to professional standards for accomplished teaching; more information can be accessed at www.nbpts.org.
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching: This most prestigious award offered by our national government for teachers of mathematics and science includes a recognition program in Washington, D.C., professional development and leadership opportunities, and a $10,000 grant from the NSF to be spent at the recipient's sole discretion.
- Teacher of the Year: This program recognizes and honors the contributions of highly-effective classroom teacher leaders at the school, district, county and state level who possess a special talent for inspiring a love of learning in students of all backgrounds and abilities.