For More Information Contact the Public
Kathryn Forsyth, Director
For Release: May 6, 2005
DOE Recognizes 2005 Distinguished Teaching Candidates
Sixteen prospective educators who recently completed teacher preparatory programs at New Jersey colleges and universities have received Commissioners Distinguished Teacher Candidate awards from the New Jersey Department of Education.
"These award-winning graduates have demonstrated commitment and dedication in their studies and student training, and we know they will continue that as they begin teaching," said Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey.
Commissioner William L. Librera joined State Board of Education member Dr. Thelma Napolean-Smith and others in honoring the award winners today at a reception at DOE headquarters in Trenton.
"New Jersey has a reputation for producing excellent teachers, and these new educators we honor today are the best of the best in 2005," Commissioner Librera said. "We are confident that they will make a difference as soon as they set foot in a classroom."
This is the 20th year that the Distinguished Teacher Candidate awards have been bestowed.
The presidents of all New Jersey colleges and universities with teacher preparation programs each nominate up to five candidates for consideration. A total of 68 people representing 19 programs were considered for the 2005 awards.
The 16 graduates recognized today are
- Heidi Berkey, Mount Holly, Rider University, Elementary Education;
- Lauren Connor, Fair Haven, Monmouth University, English,
- Louis DeAngelo, Colonia, The College of New Jersey, Mathematics;
- Lisa Gergasko, Old Bridge, Rutgers University, Elementary Education;
- Jennilee Groegler, Flemington, The College of New Jersey, Elementary and Early Childhood Education;
- Evangeline Gumbs, Iselin, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, English;
- Edward Hilton, Princeton, Princeton University, Elementary Education;
- Elizabeth Hults, Forked River, The College of New Jersey, English;
- Kara Ingling, Vineland, Rutgers University, English;
- Meghan Kelly, Hackensack, Felician College, Elementary Education;
- Heather Maselli, North Bellmore, NY, Saint Peters College, English;
- Jillian Newsome, Maple Shade, The College of New Jersey; Special Education;
- Christine Osborne, Jackson, Rutgers University, Science;
- Alicia Perez, Newark, Seton Hall University, English;
- Alanna Phelan, Princeton, Princeton University, Elementary Education; and
- Jenny Roca, Flanders, Rutgers University, Elementary and Special Education.
While presenting the awards, Commissioner Librera also thanked eight educators who served on the selection panel. They are:
- Emily Capella, Assistant Superintendent, Lenape Regional High School District;
- Dr. George Corwell, Associate Director of Education, New Jersey Catholic Conference;
- Kay DellaBarca, Supervisor, Ocean City High School;
- Carol Friedrich, teacher, Dorothy L. Bullock School;
- Dr. Kenneth King, Assistant Superintendent, East Orange Public Schools;
- Suzane Krewson, teacher, Holland Township Elementary School;
- Mary McElroy, Director, New Jersey Alliance of Catholic School Families; and
- Dominick Tarquino, Assistant Principal, Fair Lawn High School.
For more information, please contact the Department of Education Public Information Office at (609) 292-1126.