NJDOE NewsFor More Information Contact the Public Information Office:
Kathryn Forsyth, Director
For Release: May 7, 2008
DOE to Recognize Districts with Outstanding
World Languages, Bilingual and ESL Programs
Eleven school districts with outstanding world languages and second language programs will be honored by the New Jersey Department of Education at a ceremony in Edison on Friday, May 9, Education Commissioner Lucille E. Davy announced today.
Four awards will be presented for world languages programs and seven for bilingual/English as a Second Language programs.
The exemplary programs were identified through a rigorous process that included extensive program review and site visits conducted by state officials, college professors, supervisors of world languages and bilingual/ESL programs.
Commissioner Davy said that all eleven programs will serve as resource centers for other districts. Other educators will be able to visit the centers to observe the model practices in second language teaching, learning and testing. They will also be able to discuss issues of mutual concern with the on-site staff, including potential collaborations on their own second language efforts.
"The programs we are honoring represent high-quality, effective classroom approaches to serve the needs of our students who are learning a second language, whether it is English or another world language," Commissioner Davy said. "The educators who have developed and implemented these programs are leaders in their field, and we applaud them for sharing their approaches with their colleagues across New Jersey."
The four districts receiving awards for world languages are:
- Englewood Public Schools, Bergen County, K-5 World Languages Dual Immersion Program
- Princeton Regional Schools, Mercer County, K-12 World Languages Program
- West Orange Public Schools, Essex County, K-5 Spanish Program, High School Heritage Spanish Program
- West Windsor-Plainsboro, Mercer County, K-8 World Languages Program
The seven districts receiving awards for bilingual and English as a Second Language (ESL) are:
- Clifton Public Schools, Passaic County, K-5 ESL Program with Bilingual Support Program in Schools 12, 13, 14 and 17
- Howell Township Public Schools, Monmouth County, K-5 ESL Program in Southard Elementary School
- Linden Public Schools, Union County, K-12 ESL Program
- Perth Amboy Public Schools, Middlesex County, K-12 Bilingual Program
- Red Bank Regional High School District, Monmouth County, 9-12 ESL Program
- Roselle Public Schools, Union County, K-3 Bilingual Program in Harrison Elementary School
- West New York Public Schools, Hudson County, K-12 Bilingual Program
The ceremony will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 9, at the PSE&G Training and Development Center, 234 Pierson Road, Edison, New Jersey. Reporters and photographers are invited to attend.
For information on the second language programs, please contact the DOE Office of World Languages Education at 609-777-4658.
For information on the Bilingual/ESL programs, please contact the DOE Office of Student Achievement and Accountability at 609-292-8777.
For more information on this news release, please contact the DOE Office of Public Information at 609-292-1126.