Department of Education Announcement on the Lakewood School District Budget
Trenton, NJ – The New Jersey Department of Education will provide a state-aid advance in the amount of $8,522,678 to the Lakewood School District to ensure a thorough and efficient education for the public school students of Lakewood.
The state-aid advance will allow the Lakewood School District to:
- Reinstate 127 teaching staff positions including 106 classroom teachers, 14 basic skills teachers and 7 literacy and math coaches;
- Restore boys and girls athletics programs for the fall, winter and spring seasons (soccer, track and baseball), as well as extra-curricular activities such as band and orchestra;
- Secure the provision of summer school programming, critical for some students to meet graduation requirements;
- Purchase new K-5 science text books, needed to meet the New Jersey Student Learning Standards; and
- Ensure the district can meet the costs for one-to-one aides who are essential to meet the needs of students with disabilities.