DOE A to Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #



Information to certify my child’s school records to attend school outside the U.S.A.?

All states have the authority to authenticate documents.  This is necessary when people go oversees for various reasons, such as adoption, employment, school, dual citizenship, foreign exchange, etc., and the country requires the certification of important documents.  Depending upon the country, documents can include marriage licenses, high school/GED diplomas, college degrees, transcripts from high schools/colleges, employment records, health records, date of birth, etc.

In New Jersey, the Division of Revenue in the Department of the Treasury reviews the applicable documents which already must be notarized.  Constituents must send a cover letter, along with notarized documents and application, and indicate which country they will be traveling to.  There are also applicable fees.

Depending upon the country, some require a certification only and others require the Apostilles, which is a special authentication issued for documents for use in countries that participate in the Hague Convention of 1961.

For information on how to certify school records:

Go to Treasury’s Web site at:
State of New Jersey - Department of the Treasury
Division of Revenue
33 West State Street, 5th Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608