Parent & Family Portal
Student Learning Expectations
What our students learn in our schools from Preschool-12 is determined by several things:
First, the state creates standards for every grade span which define the broad concepts that children in New Jersey schools should know and be able to do as they progress toward graduation. There are standards in nine topical areas with coordinators in charge of the nine subjects. The first statewide standards were adopted in 1996, and they have been revised every five years.
Second, districts analyze the concepts in the standards, and they create curricula that relate to the standards but are much more detailed in defining how teachers are to present the broad concepts in their lesson plans. To assist districts, the Department offers curricular frameworks in math and English language arts. The district's curriculum documents should be available for viewing at the district business office and questions would be directed to the superintendent.
The third factor in determining what is taught to our students is the teacher's daily lesson plan which uses the district's curriculum to teach students the concepts in the state's standards. Questions about any particular lesson can be directed to your child's teacher.
Information on learning standards that span early childhood to high school graduation:
- NJ Birth to Three Early Learning Standards
- Preschool Teaching and Learning Standards
- New Jersey Student Learning Standards
The following are some useful resources to help parents be more engaged in their child's education:
- Early Learning: Information and Resources for Families
- Policy on Family Engagement from the Early Years to the Early Grades
- New Jersey Kindergarten Program Implementation Guidelines
- Approaches to Learning: Kindergarten to Grade 3
- High Quality Kindergarten Today
- Seal of Biliteracy Some school districts offer this program option for students who are proficient in English and a second language.
- Information for Parents about the New Jersey Student Learning Standards in Science
- Gifted and Talented