Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
Mission & Vision
ShapingNJ began in 2008 with a grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity. ShapingNJ was specifically designed to:
- build on the successes of the 2006 New Jersey Obesity Plan created by the New Jersey Obesity Prevention Task Force,
- update the strategies, and
- address the challenges of making changes more lasting and impactful.
ShapingNJ has the following visions:
- Breastfeeding-Friendly Spaces: New Jersey hospitals and workplaces will support babies' best start by helping mothers to breastfeed exclusively during their babies' first six months.
- Healthy, Affordable Nutrition. All of our residents will have easy access--at school, in their neighborhoods and throughout the community-- to nutritious and affordable food and drink, especially fruits and vegetables.
- Healthy Child and Afterschool Care. Every day, every child in child or after-school care will eat healthy food, including fruits and vegetables, and engage in lots of physically active play. No child will watch TV in those settings.
- Lifelong Physical Activity. Every community and every school will offer abundant opportunities for everyone to engage in safe, affordable physical activity. Physical activity will be a daily routine for all New Jersey residents throughout their lives. Schools will teach this healthy habit starting with kindergartners.