- Protects, promotes and supports breastfeeding as the norm for infant feeding.
- Encourages women to exclusively breastfeed for the first six months.
- Supports women and their children for as long as they choose to breastfeed and provides individual support and assistance when problems occur.
- Strongly recommends breastfeeding when there is a family history of allergies and formula intolerance.
- Has International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and peer counselors to provide breastfeeding education and support services.
- Provides prenatal breastfeeding classes.
- Provides breastfeeding equipment and aids that directly support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
- Provides local telephone warm lines for breastfeeding questions.
- Supports mothers who work outside the home or attend school, and provides information on pumping and storing human milk.
- Refers to community support systems.
- Serves as a resource for health care professionals and educational institutions to provide consistent information in the community.
- Issues a breastfeeding food package.
- Supports marketing campaigns to gain social acceptance for breastfeeding.
- Creates breastfeeding friendly environments.
Back to Breastfeeding
Promotion and Support