DHSS

New Jersey's Active Influenza-like Illness (ILI) Surveillance Statistics
Week of January 8, 2001

Reports were received from 185 schools, with a total population of 148,042 students. The absenteeism rate was 6.42%. This rate is down from 8.73% the week before and represents a return to baseline absenteeism after the Christmas / New Years holiday. In addition to these reports, the Department has receive reports of 3 additional schools with absenteeism rates greater than 15%, due primarily to respiratory illness.

Reports were received from 72 nursing homes with a total population of 10,453. The reported influenza-like illness rate was 2.75%, up slightly from 2.59% the week before.

Reports were received from 62 hospital emergency departments. During the 24 hour surveillance period, a total of 7,248 patients were seen, of which 8.00% were being seen because of a respiratory influenza-like illness. This figure was up slightly from 7.52% the week before.

Hackensack Medical Center has reported an additional 5 cultures positive for influenza virus, 2 for influenza A, 2 for influenza B, and one that is still being typed. This brings the total number of positive cultures for New Jersey to 3 for influenza A, 3 for influenza B, and one untyped. The New Jersey Department of Health has made arrangements with several hospitals near Trenton to collect specimens for influenza culture. The results will also be reported as they become available.

Nationwide, 71% of influenza specimens typed were A, and 29% were B. Of those typed as A, 97% were H1N1 and 3% were H3N2. Of the H1N1, 95% were similar to the A New Caledonia strain that was included in this year's vaccine. The remaining 5% were similar to A Bayern. Although the A Bayern strain is antigenically distinct from the A New Caledonia strain, there is good cross-reactivity between the antibody produced by the A New Caledonia vaccine component and the A Bayern virus, thus this year's vaccine should provide good protection against A Bayern. All H3N2 virus isolated was antigenically similar to the A Panama strain included in this year's vaccine. All influenza B viruses isolated were antigenically similar to B Beijing which was included in this year's vaccine. Thus this year's vaccine is providing good coverage against the virus strains known to be circulating in the United States at this time.

These figures indicate that overall, New Jersey is still near baseline activity for influenza-like illness. However, additional positive cultures for influenza, and some schools reporting absenteeism greater than 15% suggest that it is reasonable to expect that influenza-like illness will increase in New Jersey in the coming weeks.

Northeastern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Bergen4.612.895.65
Essex4.35NR16.06
Hudson6.813.738.38
Middlesex5.761.747.43
Monmouth3.621.865.20
Passaic10.504.858.21
Union9.803.136.98

Regional Total6.392.939.09

Northwestern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Hunterdon4.893.895.13
Mercer5.875.382.59
Morris4.381.311.34
Somerset3.760.785.37
Sussex5.6614.8510.23
Warren8.422.780.90

Regional Total5.913.073.28

Southern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Atlantic 6.225.123.75
Burlington5.410.008.45
Camden12.181.3513.70
Cape May5.653.435.33
Cumberland6.032.0711.50
Gloucester8.933.556.18
Ocean5.242.664.49
Salem6.302.933.57

Regional Total6.772.637.97

Statewide Total6.422.758.00

NR = no report