DOH Home  >>  Indoor Environments Program

Environmental and Occupational Health Assessment Program Application Payments

Submit Payments

Indoor Environmental Health Assessment (IEHA) in Educational Facilities Submission Process

Under some circumstances, educational facilities will require an IEHA to be conducted by a licensed consultant when there are renovations, remodeling, additions, conversions, demolitions, etc. taking place.  Educational facilities include any K-12 public, private or charter school.  The Local Construction Official (LCO) will determine if the work being done in the educational facility will require a Department of Health (DOH) Safe building Interior Certification.  A DOH certification may be required prior to the beginning of any construction or demolition or prior to issuing a certificate of occupancy (CO).  If your LCO has required you to obtain a DOH certification, please contact the DOH for more information on how to proceed.

Educational facilities which fall into one or more of the following categories may have to acquire a Safe Building Interior Certification from the DOH:

  • The educational facility is in a building constructed prior to 1979.
  • The prior or current use of the building and/or property was/is used for industrial, storage, or other high hazard purpose. This includes being used as a nail salon, a dry cleaner or a gas station. These categories may be is classified as Groups B, S, F and H as defined by the Uniform Construction Code (UCC).
  • The location is on a contaminated site or on a property where contamination is suspected.
  • The educational facility is referred to the Department of Health (DOH) by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Department of Education, or a local construction official (LCO), due to a prior or current use of the building or property which is of concern.
  • The educational facility is co-located in a building with a dry cleaner and/or nail salon.

IEHA Forms and Submission Process

Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1), must be signed by a licensed consultant. Indoor Environmental Health Assessments (IEHAs), forms, and data submitted to the DOH should be submitted electronically. They can also be placed on a compact disc and mailed to the address below:

NJ Department of Health
Consumer, Environmental, and Occupational Health Service
Indoor Environments Program
P.O. Box 369
Trenton, NJ 08625-0369

NOTE: If the IEHA packet will be e-mailed, a certified check, money order (made payable to "NJ Department of Health”) or e-payment (no cash, personal checks or company checks will be accepted), in the amount of $1500 must be submitted. When mailing the check, it must be attached to a hardcopy of Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1).

The following forms are required to be completed and submitted:

Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1) [pdf 33k] [doc 64k]
Form B: Historical Uses of Building (CEHS-2) [pdf 15k] [doc 52k]
Form C: Condition of Building Components (CEHS-3) [pdf 11k] doc 34k]
Form D: Heating and Cooling (CEHS-4) [pdf 9k] [doc 33k]
Form E: Water and Sewer (CEHS-5) [pdf 9k] [doc 32k]
Form F: Hazardous Substances (CEHS-6) [pdf 23k] [doc 63k]
Form G: Sampling (CEHS-7) [pdf 13k] [doc 82k]
Form H: Conclusions and Recommendations
[pdf 12k] [doc 45k]


Department of Health

P. O. Box 360, Trenton, NJ 08625-0360
Our Locations
Privacy policy, terms of use and contact form links State Privacy Notice legal statement DOH Feedback Page New Jersey Home

OPRA- Open Public RecordAct
department: njdoh home | index by topic | programs/services
statewide:njhome | services A to Z  | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-

Last Modified: Wednesday, 09-Jul-14 15:55:44