Skip to navigation
All principal investigators, staff, and DOH researchers and data stewards listed on an application to be reviewed by the DOH IRB Board must complete Collaborative IRB Training Initiative (CITI) training OR NIH/NCI training:
(CITI Basic certificates expire three years after completion date, and CITI Refresher certificates expire after two years).
Registering for the CITI course:
- Go to http://www.citiprogram.org and click on New Users Register Here Using the drop down menu labeled "Participating Institutions", select "New Jersey Department of Health" if you are an employee of DOH.
If you are not an employee of the DOH and to your knowledge your home institution (employer) also participates in the CITI ethics course, please access the CITI course directly or through your home institution's website. If your home institution does not participate in the CITI course, please see instructions below.
- Choose a username and password.
- Provide the requested information, then click on the submit button.
- Select a Group:
- Choose "Group 1" if you are an investigator or support personnel conducting research involving an FDA-regulated drug, device, biologic or compound.
- Choose "Group 2" if you are an investigator or support personnel conducting social, behavioral, public health, epidemiologic or other research that does not involve an FDA-regulated drug, device, biologic or compound.
- Registration is complete and the username and password are active.
Completing the CITI course:
- Complete the "CITI Basic Course." The course allows participants to complete the learning modules at their own pace, each module taking 15-20 minutes to compete.
- At the end of each module participants are required to take a quiz (multiple choice questions). Participants must earn an aggregate score of 80% or better to successfully complete the course; quizzes can be retaken immediately to earn a higher score.
- After successfully completing the course, participants will be provided with a certificate of completion that must be included with the IRB application
Registering for the NIH/NCI research ethics training
External researchers may comply with the DOH IRB training requirement (if their home institution does not utilize the CITI course) by completing the NIH/NCI training and receiving a certificate through the link http://phrp.nihtraining.com/users/register.php