In order to begin receiving Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payments, eligible professionals must first register with CMS though the National Level Repository (NLR). Once this is complete, they will then be directed to the New Jersey Medicaid provider portal to submit their New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program attestation information and applicable supporting documentation. At this time, each eligible professional is required to register separately; there is no method available to register multiple eligible professionals at the same time.
The information required for an eligible professional to register on the National Level Repository (NLR) for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program includes the following:
- Name of the eligible professional
- Eligible professional’s National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Business address
- Business phone
- Email address
- United States Internal Revenue Service Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) (or if applicable, social security number) to which the eligible professional would like their incentive payment made.
- Medicaid program selection (may switch once to Medicare after receiving an incentive payment before 2015)
- State selection as New Jersey
Upon successful registration with CMS’s National Level Repository, providers will be able to complete the New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program registration and payment request form using the New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Attestation Application, available through the provider portal of www.njmmis.com. This application consists of the following components:
- Provider demographic information, including optional submission of a second email address and two phone numbers
- Information needed for assessing meaningful use status (year 2 and beyond)
- Provider attestation
- Incentive payment calculation worksheet
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) application with all required information (e.g., bank routing number) if not already on file with New Jersey Medicaid
- Applicable supporting documentation
Tip: The preferred method for correspondence is e-mail. Providers are encouraged to obtain, use and actively monitor a valid and reliable e-mail address.
Tip: In order to receive a payment, the entity receiving the New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payment must have an established EFT account. Instructions on how to set up an account will be available through the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program portion of the New Jersey Medicaid Provider Portal.
- All eligible professionals must have a National Provider Identifier (NPI) in order to participate in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- To obtain and/or update your NPI, you will need an active user account in the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES). Please visit the link https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/Welcome.do to obtain an NPI or to update your account.
- After you obtain your NPI, please notify New Jersey Medicaid Provider Services and update your information on file.
- Determine which 90-day period in the most recently completed calendar year you are going to use to establish your patient threshold. As part of the attestation process, you will be required to identify the “begin” and “end” dates, as well as how you calculated both the numerator and the denominator to calculate your minimum Medicaid patient percentage. You will also need to identify the auditable data source you are using to determine those numbers.
- Talk with your EHR vendor and determine if your EHR product is certified. You will need to provide the certification number as part of the application process.