skip to main contentskip to main navigation
State of New Jersey Deapartment of Human Services title graphic  
Division of Family Development
New Jersey Helps
NJ 211 Community Resource Website
New Jersey Housing Resource Center
New Jersey Mental Health Cares Hotline
NJ Family Care

> Vea esta información en español

Federal Reductions to
SNAP Benefits Effective
November 1, 2013

grocery receipt

Why are my benefits going down?
On November 1, there will be a reduction in your federal SNAP benefits. This is a result of federal stimulus money – provided under the American Recovery and Reinvestments Act of 2009 – coming to an end.

How much are my benefits going down on November 1?
Your current monthly benefit amount depends on many things like income, household size and expenses. It’s hard to say exactly how your benefits will change. The chart below shows how maximum benefit allotments will change.


SNAP Reductions by Household Size Beginning November 1, 2013

Household Size

ARRA Maximum Benefits Through
Oct. 2013

Maximum Benefits Beginning
Nov. 2013

Monthly Decrease

















Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture, “SNAP – Fiscal Year 2014 Cost-of-Living Adjustments and ARRA Sunset Impact on Allotments,” August 1, 2013.

How do I check the balance for my SNAP benefits to know how much I have?
You can check the balance on your SNAP benefits at any time by calling the number on the back of your Families First card.

How can I eat healthy on a low budget?
Here are some places you can find tips to help you prepare healthy meals on a low budget:

What should I do if I need food right away?
Click here to find a food pantry or soup kitchen near you.

Yes, you may qualify for NJ SNAP!

Eligibility depends on several factors like income, household size, resources, etc.



November 2013 numbers

There are two ways to apply for NJ SNAP: you can apply at your County Welfare Agency or online.

> Click here to find out if you might be eligible for NJ SNAP

> To find out where to apply in person in your county, contact your
County Welfare Agency or Board of Social Services

Click Here to Apply Online!

> Click Here to Get Application Forms in Various Languages 

> How to Apply for NJ SNAP (English) (pdf)

You may submit your application in person or by fax or mail, to your local County Office. After your application is received, you will be contacted to schedule a face-to-face interview to confirm your application information.

Also, please note households in which all members are applicants for or recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI), may apply for NJ SNAP at the Social Security District office at the same time you apply for SSI.

NJ SNAP brochures 2013 (pdf)

 English > Spanish 

> Qué traer cuando usted solicita para los NJ SNAP (Español) (pdf)

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a special federal and state tax benefit for individuals and families who earned less than $50,200 from wages – whether it’s full-time, part-time or self-employment. This tax credit may reduce the amount of taxes you owe, or provide you with a refund, even if you don’t owe any taxes. Workers who saw their earnings drop in 2012 may qualify for the first time. Income, age and the number of qualifying children determine the amount of the credit, which can be up to $5,751. Workers without children also may qualify. For more information visit

NJ SNAP Information Line (toll-free):



Non-Discrimination Statement

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."

Equal Employment Opportunity Data Posted Pursuant to the No Fear Act - 

This is the reporting page for the Notification and Federal Employee Antidiscrimination and Retaliation Act of 2002 (NO FEAR Act), Public Law 107-174.q

OPRA - Open Public Records Act NJ Home Logo
Department: DHS Home  |  DHS Services A to Z  |  Consumers & Clients - Individuals and Families  |  Important Resources  |  Divisions & Offices  |  Commissioner & Key Staff  |  Disaster & Emergency Help & Information  |  Press Releases, Public and Legislative Affairs, & Publications  |  Providers & Stakeholders: Contracts, Legal Notices, Licensing, MedComms  |  Get Involved with DHS!
Statewide: NJHome  |  Services A to Z  |  Departments/Agencies  |  FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 - 2008