Office of Information Services
Consistent with the Department's mission, business goals and objectives, the Department of Human Services, Office of Information Systems, will use Information Technology to:
- Provide technology to assist employees in delivering effective and efficient service to customers;
- Provide technology to customers and the general public that will increase awareness and access to services and human service related information;
- Unify service delivery;
- Facilitate collaboration; and
- Provide technology to assist management in making informed decisions.
Responsibilities...The Office of Information Systems (OIS) is responsible for implementing and managing the Department of Human Services Information Technology (IT) strategy. OIS works toward leveraging common information technologies and a common infrastructure to allow for data sharing and collaboration among the Divisions, the Institutions, other Departments, and our social service extranet partners. This approach provides the dual benefit of making the entire DHS operation more cost-effective while maximizing service access and delivery capability to clients and beneficiaries.
OIS provides IT support on a number of different fronts:
- PC-LAN and Voice communications support for the Commissioner and the department’s central office staff
- Support for Department-wide centralized IT and telecommunication systems
- Management of video conferencing systems and network
- Management of wide area (WAN) & local area network (LAN) systems, security and data communications for Department wide operations.
- Extra-net support for social service and IT vendor service providers including County Welfare Agencies, County administrative offices, and numerous other partners like Tier and Deluxe.
- Management of the Department's central UNIX systems and database environments, electronic mail, calendaring, and all related services
- Development & maintenance of applications and web environments in support of DHS central office or Department wide requirements
- Coordination/approval for department-wide technology purchases and initiativeshnical assistance to Division IT operations
- IT policy development, guidance, planning guidelines, training, and fiscal monitoring
- Support for social service collaborative activities.
- Liaison to the State Office of Information Technology & the State CIO
OIS is organized into the following units:
- Information Technology (IT) Purchasing.
- Fiscal Management
- Administrative/Clerical Support
- Personnel Management
- IT Policy
- IT Surveys
Application Development and Support Unit Mission
- Maintain high availability and optimal performance of production systems.
- Develop and maintain application to meet client needs in a timely fashion.
- Provide web access to DHS application for community agencies and members.
- Evaluate requests for new applications, updates to existing and purchase of systems and/or services.
- Evaluate current methods and applications that provide data to our customers.
Communication and Collaboration
- User and Staff IT Training and Support.
- Portal Infrastructure and Administration.
- Creation and Management of Department's Internet, Intranet and Extranet sites.
- Tier 1 Service Desk for PC & LAN support services.
Strategies and InitiativesThe Department of Human Services Office of Information Systems directs and supports inter-departmental projects and cross-divisional initiatives that enhance collaboration and leads to more integrated systems for service delivery. OIS leadership and guidance to the department and its divisions on information technology areas such as:
- Technology Procurement including Request for Information and Request for Proposal development
- Technology Strategic Planning
- Centralized Application Management
- Federal Sponsorship
- Research, Consulting and Advisory Services
- Technology Standards
- OIT Interaction
- Summits and Conferences