of New Jersey
Governor Richard J. Codey
WHEREAS, it has been a priority of my Administration to protect the environment and the health and safety of workers and citizens of New Jersey; and
WHEREAS, cleaning products are necessary for maintaining sanitary conditions in State facilities; and
WHEREAS, chemicals contained in certain cleaning products can be released into the environment during normal use; and
WHEREAS, utilizing less hazardous cleaning products in our State facilities and workplaces, and implementing measures to reduce exposure to those products, can minimize harmful impacts to office and custodial workers, as well as improve air quality and reduce water and air pollution;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICHARD J. CODEY, Governor of the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the Statutes of this State, do hereby ORDER and DIRECT:
- All State departments, authorities and instrumentalities with purchasing responsibility shall procure and use cleaning products having properties that minimize potential impacts to human health and the environment, consistent with maintaining the effectiveness of these products for the protection of the public health and safety.
- The Department of the Treasury, in consultation with the Department of Health and Senior Services and the Department of Environmental Protection, shall establish guidelines or regulations to provide guidance to covered State entities in connection with the implementation of this Order.
- The Department of the Treasury shall provide the Governor and the Legislature with a report assessing the effectiveness of and compliance with this Order within one year of the effective date of this Order.
- County and municipal governments and school districts that are not expressly subject to the requirements of this Order are encouraged to review their purchasing and use of cleaning products and are urged to comply with the provisions of this Order where deemed appropriate.
- Wherever feasible, State entities covered by this Order shall transition to environmentally and health-friendly cleaning products as soon as possible in a manner that avoids wasting of existing inventories, accommodates establishment of supply chains for new products, enables the training of personnel in appropriate work practices, and allows the phase-out of products and practices inconsistent with this Order. Additionally, new purchasing contracts for the purchase of such products or cleaning services shall include an appropriate requirement consistent with this Order and the guidelines provided by the Department of the Treasury.
- This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN, under my hand and seal this 12th day
of January, Two Thousand and Six, and of the
Independence of the United States, the Two
Hundred and Thirtieth.
/s/ Richard J. Codey
/s/ Robert L. Garrenger
Senior Associate Counsel to the Governor