WHEREAS, on July 1, 2006, a General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007 had not been enacted; and
WHEREAS, on July 1, 2006, I signed Executive Order No. 17 declaring, inter alia, that a state of emergency exists in the State of New Jersey because of the absence of a General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007. The Order provided for the continuation of State functions and services that are essential to the health, safety, and welfare of the people of New Jersey and established a framework for effectuating the orderly cessation of functions and services that were not deemed essential; and
WHEREAS, Executive Order No. 17 remains in effect until such time as a General Appropriations Law is enacted for Fiscal Year 2007; and
WHEREAS, the cessation of non-essential functions and services has continued for eight days and caused great disruption to the general public and the economy of this State; resulted in the closing of many vital State enterprises including all casinos, race tracks, the State lottery, State parks and beaches, motor vehicle offices, camps for children with disabilities, permitting and inspection operations required for the conduct of business, and virtually all State highway construction projects; and caused the loss of significant revenues to private businesses and the State; and
WHEREAS, an agreement has been reached as to the content of a General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007 that provides for predictable, reliable, and recurring revenues to match expenditures, and a bill incorporating that agreement has passed both houses of the Legislature; and
WHEREAS, it will require additional time for the bill to be reviewed and signed into law; and
WHEREAS, under the present unique circumstances, it is in the best interests of the people of the State, and would further the protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the people of the State, to begin the orderly resumption of State government functions and services so that the government will be prepared to resume all functions and services immediately upon the signing of a General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JON S. CORZINE, Governor of the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the Statutes of this State, do hereby DECLARE, ORDER, and DIRECT:
- Paragraphs 8, 9, and 16 of Executive Order No. 17 are hereby rescinded.
- Every department head and the head of every agency allocated to but independent of a department affected by the failure to enact a General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007 is directed to begin immediately an orderly resumption of all functions and services funded through the General Appropriations Law and not deemed essential under Executive Order No. 17, in order that the government will be prepared to resume all functions and services immediately upon the signing of a General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007.
- The State Treasurer and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget are hereby authorized to obligate funds for the purpose of paying for the resumption of these functions and services, but in the absence of a signed General Appropriations Law for Fiscal Year 2007 in accordance with Article VIII, Section II, Paragraph 2 of the New Jersey Constitution, no funds shall be disbursed except as provided by law.
- All State officials and agencies shall cooperate fully in the implementation of this Order.
- This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN, under my hand and seal this
of July, Two Thousand and Six, and of the
Independence of the United
States, the Two
Hundred and Thirtieth.
/s/ Jon S. Corzine
/s/ Stuart Rabner
Chief Counsel to the Governor