of New Jersey
WHEREAS, the Governor and the Legislature often create boards, authorities, commissions, committees, and councils (hereinafter referred to as "boards") to incorporate the perspective of outside parties into governmental decision-making; and
WHEREAS, the people of the State of New Jersey derive significant benefits from the important public service provided by individuals who serve as appointed, often unpaid, members of such boards; and
WHEREAS, an ongoing review of the purpose and mission of boards is necessary to determine their continued relevance and to avoid duplication of effort; and
WHEREAS, a comprehensive program should be established to provide for a periodic review of boards to identify potential areas for elimination, consolidation, and/or improvement;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JON S. CORZINE, Governor of the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the Statutes of this State, do hereby ORDER and DIRECT:
- Each department of State Government shall, during the month of December of each calendar year, report to the Governor's Office of Appointments as to whether or not boards within its jurisdiction should be eliminated, continued, or consolidated, together with a justification for each proposed elimination, continuation, or consolidation.
- In preparing its report, each department shall afford to each board within its jurisdiction that has a roster of current members the opportunity to comment on the need for its continued existence.
- On or before March 15 of each calendar year, the Appointments Office, in conjunction with the Office of Governor's Counsel, shall issue a report to the Governor and the Legislature regarding Executive branch boards, together with a proposal for any legislation that may be needed to repeal or amend the authorization, duties, or composition of any board for which such action is deemed necessary.
- Any board established by Executive Order shall terminate on the first day of the third March following its establishment, unless otherwise prescribed in its enabling Executive Order, or unless renewed by Executive Order.
- This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN, under my hand and seal this 29th day
Two Thousand and Seven, and of
the Independence of the United States, the
Two Hundred and Thirty-First.
/s/ Jon S. Corzine
/s/ Kenneth H. Zimmerman
Chief Counsel to the Governor