BOARD OF SHORTHAND REPORTING
Additions to proposals are indicated by <<+ Text +>>; deletions from
proposals are indicated by <<- Text ->>.
Changes in tables are made but not highlighted.
Adopted New Rules: N.J.A.C. 13:43-7
Adopted Amendment: N.J.A.C. 13:43-6.1
Proposed: September 5, 2000 at 32 N.J.R. 3259(a).
Adopted: October 17, 2000 by the New Jersey State Board of Shorthand Reporting, Charles Tramer, President.
Filed: February 21, 2001 as R.2001 d.93, with a substantive change not requiring additional public notice and comment (see N.J.A.C. 1:30-4.3).
Authority: N.J.S.A. 45:15B-1.
Effective Date: March 19, 2001. Expiration Date: August 4, 2003.
Summary of Public Comment and Agency Response:
No comments were received.
Summary of Agency-Initiated Changes:
As the new rules, effective date comes close to the middle of a biennial certification period, upon adoption, N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.2(a)1 is added, providing that, for the biennial certification period ending June 30, 2002, certificate holders shall only be required to complete eight credits of continuing education (rather than the 15 credits required during a biennial certification period).
Federal Standards Statement
A Federal standards analysis is not required because the adopted new rules are governed by N.J.S.A. 45:15B-1 and are not subject to any Federal requirements or standards.
Full text of the adoption follows:
SUBCHAPTER 6. FEES
<< NJ ADC 13:43-6.1 >>
13:43-6.1 Fee schedule
(a) The following fees shall be charged by the Board:
1.-10. (No change.)
11. Continuing education program review fee ............... $100.00 SUBCHAPTER 7. CONTINUING EDUCATION
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.1 >>
13:43-7.1 Certificate renewal: continuing education requirement
(a) A certified shorthand reporter applying for biennial certificate renewal shall complete, during the preceding biennial period, continuing education in the continuing education ("CE") credits specified in N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.2. Certificate holders are exempt from the continuing education requirements of this subchapter for the initial period of certification.
(b) Each certificate holder shall confirm on the application for biennial certificate renewal that he or she has completed the required number of continuing education credits as provided for in N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.2 and 7.3. Falsification of any information submitted with the renewal application may result in penalties and/or suspension of the certificate pursuant to the Uniform Enforcement Act, N.J.S.A. 45:1-21.
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.2 >>
13:43-7.2 Credit-hour requirements
(a) An applicant for a biennial certificate renewal shall complete, during the preceding biennial period, a minimum of 15 credits of continuing education.
<<+1. For the biennial certification period ending on June 30, 2002, certificate holders shall only be required to complete eight credits of continuing education.+>>
(b) A certificate holder who completes more than the minimum continuing education credits set forth in (a) above in any biennial registration period may carry over no more than five of the additional credits into a succeeding biennial period only if the additional credits were earned in the last six months of the preceding biennial period.
(c) A certificate holder whose certificate has lapsed for two years or more shall complete 15 credits of continuing education within two years prior to reinstatement.
(d) A certificate holder who is required to complete continuing education pursuant to Board disciplinary action shall not receive credit for such Board imposed continuing education toward the mandatory 15 credits of biennial continuing education.
(e) The Board may direct a certificate holder to complete continuing education credits to correct a deficiency in the certificate holder's continuing education requirement.
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.3 >>
13:43-7.3 Continuing education programs and courses
(a) A certificate holder may obtain continuing education credits from the following:
1. Successful completion of continuing education programs, courses or seminars approved by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.7. The Board shall approve only such continuing education programs, courses or seminars as are available and advertised on a nondiscriminatory basis to all persons granted certificates by the New Jersey State Board of Shorthand Reporting. The Board shall maintain a list of approved programs, courses and seminars at the Board office and shall furnish this information to certificate holders upon request;
2. Post-secondary course work, transcripts of which shall be furnished to the Board, in areas relating to shorthand reporting such as:
i. English composition;
ii. English grammar;
iii. Computer training;
iv. Business recordkeeping and/or accounting and/or marketing; and
v. Specialty courses relating to the certificate holder's area of practice;
3. Participation, other than as a student, in educational programs such as:
i. Teaching and research appointments; and
ii. Program development;
4. Authorship of textbooks, articles or manuals as they specifically relate to shorthand reporting; and
5. Correspondence, televised, videotaped, teleconference and internet courses upon verification by the course provider that the course was monitored and successfully completed by the certificate holder.
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.4 >>
13:43-7.4 Credit hour calculations
(a) Credit for continuing education shall be granted as follows for each biennial certification period:
1. Attendance at programs, courses or seminars approved by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.7: one credit for each hour of attendance at an approved course. Credit shall not be granted for courses which are less than one instructional hour long. An entire course or segment of course instruction shall be completed in order to receive any continuing education credit;
2. Successful completion of post-secondary course work pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.3(2): one continuing education credit for each course credit awarded;
3. Publication in a professional journal of an article related to the practice of shorthand reporting of not less than 500 words: three credits per article with a maximum of six credits per biennial certification period;
4. Authorship of a textbook or manual of not less than 7,500 words related to the practice of shorthand reporting: five credits for each textbook or manual with a maximum of 10 credits per biennial certification period;
5. Teaching, research appointments and program development: five credits for each new course, with a maximum of 10 credits per biennial certification period. "New" means a new course which the licensee has never taught before in an educational setting; and
6. Correspondence, televised, videotaped, teleconference and internet courses: one credit per course with a maximum of five credits per biennial certification period.
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.5 >>
13:43-7.5 Reporting of continuing credit hours
(a) Certificate holders shall maintain documentation, as set forth in (c) below, of completion of continuing education requirements for a period of five years after the end of the renewal period and shall submit such documentation to the Board upon request.
(c) Certificate holders shall maintain the following as documentation of completed continuing education:
1. For programs, courses, seminars and conferences approved by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:43-7.7: the course provider's written verification of attendance;
2. For post-secondary courses: a transcript;
3. For articles published in a professional journal: the published article;
4. For authored textbooks or manuals: the textbook or manual;
5. For teaching, research appointments or program development: a statement from a school authority verifying the appointment; and
6. Correspondence, televised, videotaped, teleconference and internet courses: verification from the course provider.
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.6 >>
13:43-7.6 Waiver of continuing education requirements
(a) The Board may waive continuing education requirements on an individual basis for reasons of hardship, such as illness, disability, military service, or other good cause.
(b) A certificate holder seeking a waiver of the continuing education requirements shall apply to the Board in writing and set forth with specificity the reasons for requesting the waiver. The certificate holder shall also provide the Board with such additional information as it may request in support of the waiver application.
(c) A certificate holder shall apply for a waiver of any part(s) of the continuing education requirement within 90 days of the expiration of the biennial renewal period.
<< NJ ADC 13:43-7.7 >>
13:43-7.7 Responsibilities of continuing education course providers
(a) All continuing education course providers shall submit the following, for each program, course or seminar offered, for evaluation by the Board:
1. A detailed description of program or course content and estimated hours of instruction;
2. The curriculum vitae of the lecturer, including specific background which qualifies the individual as a lecturer in the area of instruction; and
3. The program provider fee pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:43-6.1.
(b) All continuing education course providers shall:
1. Secure Board approval prior to representing that any course, seminar or program has been approved for continuing education;
2. Monitor the attendance at each approved program, course or seminar and furnish to each enrollee a verification of attendance, which shall include the following information:
i. The title, date and location of the program, course or seminar;
ii. The name and certificate number of attendee;
iii. The number of credits awarded; and
iv. The name and signature of an officer of the organization; and
3. Evaluate program, course or seminar offerings through solicitation from both the participants and the instructors