The educational benefits provided to Air National Guard members vary from state to state. New Jersey is one of the few states within our nation to provide free college credits to guard members. The New Jersey free tuition bill provides the opportunity to receive up to 15 undergraduate or graduate college credits per semester while serving as a member of the NJ Air National Guard. These credits can be used within any of New Jersey's state schools.
Free Tuition Guidelines
All members of the N.J. Air National Guard may now receive up to 15 undergraduate or graduate college credits per semester, tuition FREE at any public college or university in New Jersey. This includes all State Colleges, County Colleges, Junior Colleges and Industrial School.:
Montgomery GI Bill
WHAT IS THE GI BILL?
1) An educational assistance entitlement for all unit members who qualify
2) 36 months of assistance when enrolled as a full-time student in an approved learning institution, or the equivalent enrollment, if less than a full-time student
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
1) All members, both enlisted & officers, of any reserve component
2) Members who have a high school, GED, or college degree
3) Traditional guardsmen/women, full-time technicians, AGRs (only those AGRs who started an AGR tour prior to November 1, 1989, and who had already established eligibility)
4) Members not currently using the VEAP program, or collecting Chapter 30, Active Duty benefits. Note: AGRs are also entitled to Active Duty Tuition Assistance (75% tuition paid) - for information, contact the education office at McGuire AFB (609) 724-3019
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS
1) Training must be through a DVA-approved institution. Training can be received through an accredited college, vocational/technical school, or through an approved Independent Study Program.
2) Members with less than a BA/BS degree must have enlisted/reenlisted/extended for 6 years after 1 July 1985; members who have a BA/BS degree or higher must have enlisted/reenlisted/extended for 6 years after 1 October 1990. Note: Only the BA/BS Degree program is available to those members who have not enlisted/reenlisted/extended after 1 Oct 90. Enrollment in all other programs require enlistment/reenlistment/extension for 6 years starting after 1 Oct 1990
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1) Program is administered by, and benefits paid by the Department of Military & Veterans Affairs (DMAVA). School attendance criteria to qualify for full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time, or part-time benefits will be determined by the VA.