NJ Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
DIRECTIONS | PRESS CENTER | CONTACT US
National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey
Historical Narratives: HEADQUARTERS, STATE AREA COMMAND

HEADQUARTERS, STATE AREA COMMAND
NEW JERSEY ARMY NATIONAL GUARD

New Jersey Army National Guard Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

New Jersey Army National Guard Distinctive Unit Insignia

New Jersey Army National Guard Crest for Coat of Arms

SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA

DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA

CREST FOR COAT OF ARMS

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia. Description: On a Blue shield 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm) in width and 3 1/8 inches (7.94 cm) in height, the crest for the New Jersey National Guard: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, a lion's head erased Or langued Gules and collared with four fusils of the like.
   
         Symbolism: The original settlements in the State were English and Dutch. The coats of arms of both countries bear lions. The original proprietor was Sir George Carteret whose arms bore the four red lozenges. As the predominant permanent settlement was of English origin, the twists of the wreath are white and red.
   
         Background: The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, New Jersey National Guard on 21 September 1955. It was amended to correct the wording in the description on 7 October 1955. The insignia was redesignated with description amended effective 30 December 1983, for Headquarters, State Area Command, New Jersey National Guard.

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 7/32 inches (3.10 cm) in height overall consisting of a Blue shield bearing the authorized crest for the Army National Guard of the State of New Jersey blazoned: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, a lion's head erased Or (Gold) charged on the neck with four fusils conjoined of the second.
   
         Symbolism: The original settlements in the State were English and Dutch. The coats of arms of both countries bear lions. The original proprietor was Sir George Carteret whose arms bore the four red lozenges. As the predominant permanent settlement was of English origin, the twists of the wreath are white and red.
   
         Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the State Staff Corps and Departments, New Jersey National Guard on 8 November 1928. It was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and noncolor bearing units of the New Jersey Army National Guard on 8 July 1971. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 October 1982, for Headquarters, State Area Command, New Jersey Army National Guard.

Crest. Description: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the New Jersey Army National Guard: From a wreath of colors, a lion's head erased Or collared four fusils Gules.
   
         Symbolism: The original settlements in the State were English and Dutch. The coats of arms of both countries bear lions. The original proprietor was Sir George Cateret whose arms bore the four red lozenges.
   
         Background: The crest for color bearing organizations of the State of New Jersey was approved on 5 July 1922

###

Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement NJ.gov
NJ National Guard Family Programs Open Public Records Act